It's Been a Busy February!
We continue to have Guided Reading three times a week and are working hard on becoming more fluent readers by "scooping up" 2 or 3 words at a time and sounding less robotic. As our books get harder, we are learning to use our "Sense Power". When we get to a word that we are unsure we have correct, we ask ourselves "Does it make look right, sound right and make sense?" to help us decipher the word. We check the first and last letters of the word in question and check if our "guess" makes sense with the rest of the letters, the illustration, and the rest of the sentence. You can try this at home when you're reading with your kindergarten. You'll be amazed at how your child's reading skills grow in leaps and bounds as they learn to self-correct their estimations!
We also continue to build our familiarity with C-V-C (consonant-vowel-consonant) word families during literacy centers and with our Words Their Way sorts. Some of the word families we've learned this month include -ad, -ag, -ap, -et, -en, -ix, and -it. We have enjoyed hidden CVC puzzles, mitten CVC words, and searching for hidden CVC words in our room. We learned a new song about vowels called "Vowel Bat". You can find it on YouTube or use the link below to sing with your child at home.
Finally, our Word Wall word list is growing! We LOVE Flashlight Friday when we turn off the lights and shine a light on our words! We've also been spelling our words on Seesaw, with valentine hearts, and chocolate (well, pretend chocolate, but chocolate nonetheless).
WORD WALL WORDS
I, a, at, as, me, my, the, for, an, can, of, go, see, and, you, to, from, had, have, like, in, is, it, said, if, of, will, and, he, she, be, was, on
Our 100th Day Celebration included our 100th Day Museum collage display in our hallway, making hats with 100 dots and stickers, doing 100 "exercises", unscrambling a 10's puzzles, and writing TWO class books about the 100th day! You can see the books at Parent/Teacher Conferences on Friday. :)
WE KNOW HOW TO ADD 10 TO ANY NUMBER BY COUNTING ON!
WE LOVE PLAYING "PLUS 10" WITH FRIENDS!
COUNTING BUCKETS ARE A FAVORITE! WE'VE COUNTED ALL THE WAY UP TO 405!
We studied Abraham Lincoln and George Washington this month in commemoration of President's Day. Without a doubt, the highlight of our Abe Lincoln study was discovering that Lincoln was the same height as Dr. Haney! We talked about ways George Washington and Abe Lincoln were the same and other ways they were different. They were both incredibly brave men and loved reading. The kids remembered that Martin Luther King, Jr. loved reading as well, and they made the connection between being an avid reader and a good leader. We made pictures of both presidents and have a shared reading book in our book bins about them. Ask your child what s/he learned about the two presidents.
BOOK BAG REMINDERS
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER
- Friday, March 1 - NO SCHOOL for students - PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES
- Sunday, March 10 - Daylight's Saving Time - Spring Forward!
- Tuesday, March 19 - Kindergarten Music Program at 6:45pm
- Monday, March 25 - Spring Break Begins
- Please remember to send your child to school with snowpants, boots, mittens, and a hat everyday. We LOVE playing outside and need to be dressed to stay warm and dry. If you would like to leave a pair of snowpants at school, please let me know and Mrs. Schoof and I will help your child remember to leave them in his or her cubby at the end of the day.
- Please help your child remember to bring their RED FOLDER to school every day.
- BOOK BAGS should be returned each week on THURSDAY so the children can go book shopping on Friday morning.
- Please remember to send your child with a healthy snack each day. Fruit, cheese sticks, and Pirate Booty make great snacks! Chips and cookies are best for lunchtime. Thanks for your help keeping our kindergarten brains fueled for the morning!