The DCMS Bat Signal: 4/16/19
Super me, super you, everyday heroes make dreams come true.
Good Morning Team DCMS Superheroes!
We are down to 28 days of instructional time to spend with our students. Let's make the most of every moment. Now is the time to dig deep. Collaborate with your PLC to develop the most interesting and engaging lessons that work your students' brains. Be sure your students are working harder than you are and are thinking deeply. Students who are appropriately challenged enjoy learning, retain more information, and find school to be more meaningful! As you support our students in difficult learning, be sure to capitalize on using the word "yet" when discussing the struggle. The whole goal is for our students to understand that learning is a process and mistakes are to be embraced. Work to create that culture of error in your classroom today.
PD: Whetting the Appetite: Teach Like a Champion - 100% Part 1 - Compliance You can See
100% Part 1: Visible Compliance–In this technique, I talk about how to “see” your classroom better by standing in certain places and training yourself to scan in certain ways so you know what’s going on reliably. I call this Radar. I think I speak the truth when I say that the struggles of many teachers with off-task behavior start with not seeing it. I also talk here about BSL or “Be Seen Looking,” the process of subtly making visible to your students the fact that you are looking to see if they do what you expect and that you care. One of the most common reasons students don’t do what we ask is, it turns out, that we don’t watch to see if they do.
How does this teacher use radar and be seen looking?
It is most critical that you READ and ACT on ALL emails sent to you with the subject of ILearn! This is not a casual statement. Missing an item or creating a situation where students do not perform well on the ILearn test is no joke. Please take this matter seriously.
- 8th Grade Choir Concert @ DHS - Thursday, April 18, at 7 PM in DHS auditorium
- Olivia's Cause Convocation for All Grades- Friday, 4/19 (more details to come)
- Builders Club Earth Day 5k Run - Saturday, 4/20 @ 9 AM at South Elementary; register at www.danvillekiwanis.org
- Administrative Assistants' Week - 4/22 - 4/26 - Be sure to shower Tisha, Sheila, Penny, and Eva with all forms of appreciation!
- ILearn Testing Window - 4/22 - 5/17
- NJHS Induction Ceremony - Tuesday, 4/30, @ 6:30 PM in the gym
- School Principals' Day - Wednesday, 5/1
- Nurse's Day - Monday, 5/6
- Teacher Appreciation Week - Monday, 5/6 - Friday, 5/10 (more details to come)
- School Board Mtg - Monday, 5/13 @ 6:30 PM in South Elementary cafe
- Senior Walk @ DCMS - Tuesday, 5/14 @ ~10:55 AM; all classes to line the hallways
- 6th & 7th Grade Choir Concert - Tuesday, 5/14 @ 7 PM in the MS gym
- 4th Graders Visit DCMS - Thursday, 5/16
- 4th to 5th Parent Transition Meeting - Monday, 5/20
- MS Band Concert - Tuesday, 5/21, at 7 PM in the MS gym
- Last Student Day - Friday, 5/24
- Last Teacher Day - Tuesday, 5/28
- Department Head Meeting - Tuesday, April 16, @ 3:30 PM in Marsha's office
- Faculty Mtg - Wednesday, 4/17, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (TLaC - 100% Compliance You Can See)
- Faculty Mtg - Tuesday, 4/23, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (Schoology Training Part 2: bring headphones)
- EOY Meeting for Instructional Assistants - Tuesday, 4/23, @ 3:30 in training room
- EOY Meeting for Sec/Treasurer/Nurses - Tuesday, 4/23, @ 4 PM in the training room
- Faculty Mtg - Wednesday, 4/24, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (TLaC - 100% Firm Calm Finesse ) Please PLC during common prep time one day this week. Your choice of which day.
- Faculty Mtg - Wednesday, 5/1 in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (TLaC - 100% Firm Calm Finesse) Please PLC during common prep time one day this week. Your choice of which day.
Marsha Out - on 4/18 for a multitude of doctor appointments.
Shorts, Longs, & Coaching Observations – Expect that we will be visiting frequently and maybe even multiple times in a week.
Attendance Must Be Taken EACH Period – Attendance must be taken each period. This is not optional and cannot continue to be forgotten. At this point, this is considered a minimum performance expectation.
- Cell Phone Violations Procedures are found here at the following link. Please familiarize yourself with the process. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yo87qFzgaYYG4L5Tw6LKFdpQ7d_OHymU4UId1rL2qlI/edit?usp=sharing
- Friday School / Detention Supervisor Sign-Up – Please sign up to supervise a Friday School or Detention for the good of the school culture using the links below. Detentions will now be on Thursday AM and Thursday PM.
Detention - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xz-cAK_wEAroQymY6EMxUSFs8afMLCGJ0g0UpOcnbHY/edit?usp=sharing
School Year Theme: Decision is Made
Finals Schedule for S2
The grades 7 & 8 finals schedule is as follows:
- Friday, 5/17 - White Related Arts
- Monday, 5/20 - Red Related Arts
- Tuesday, 5/21 - Math
- Wednesday, 5/22 - ELA
- Thursday, 5/23 - SCI
- Friday, 5/24 - SS
No final exams are to be given early.
Yearbook Signing time for students will be on Thursday, 5/23, starting at ~2:30 PM.
Yearbooks will be delivered to GOAL or last period (for 5th) prior to yearbook signing. Do not distribute to students until 2:30 PM the day of signing. If it rains, we will do 5th and 6th in their respective hallways; 7 and 8 in the café.
Last Day Schedule for 7/8
Thank you to Amanda Birkey who helped to me revise and correct the schedule below.
All teachers are expected to attend. If you do not have an assigned class at that time that you are taking to the gym, sit with one of the related arts teachers who has your students to assist him or her in supervision. It is likely that one or all of them will be getting up to present an award. Please spread yourselves around. Department Heads/Presenters, please be poised and ready to give your awards prior to the previous presenter finishing. The goal is to complete our program in an hour or less. When you finish presenting your award please introduce the next presenter. For example, Mrs. Hayse will say, "and now Mrs. Smith will present the Math Department awards." Mrs. Smith will say, "and now Mr. Gleason will present the Science Department awards." and so on.
About Us: Mission & Collective Commitments
We are a collaborative group of educators committed to ensuring high student achievement.
We commit to…
- Focusing on student proficiency of Indiana College & Career Readiness standards, not just coverage of material.
- Working collaboratively to benefit all students with a focus on results.
- Join forces to learn by doing on a daily basis.
- Using frequent common assessments that inform and drive our instruction.
- Providing intervention and enrichment based upon the formative data.
- Furthering a culture that uses value-added language, encourages one another, and celebrates successes.