This Week In Room 411
Week of May 2, 2016
SPECIALS SCHEDULE AND IMPORTANT DATES THIS WEEK
Monday, May 2nd
- M-Day: PE/Music
- No Band
- 5th grade tours and eats lunch at Lexington Trails Middle School
- National PE and Sports Week is this week. Dress like a PE teacher all week and complete the Fitness Calendar.
Tuesday, May 3rd
- E-Day: Art
- MAP Reading Assessment
- Band Concert is 7pm at LTMS. Students report to gym at 6:30pm.
- Reading/Math Calendars due.
Wednesday, May 4th
- T-Day: Library/Counselor
- No Band
- MAP Math Test
- Fifth Grade Celebration Party at 2:15pm
- C-Day: PE/Music
Friday, May 6th
- Math test is today.
- 50 cent Friday
Monday, May 9th
WHAT WE'RE LEARNING THIS WEEK
This week we turn our focus to major battles of the Revolutionary War. Groups will work together to create a short presentation of their chosen battle. Activities like this are keeping the kids engaged, without overloading them as the year winds down.
This week students will focus on:
- how plants get and create the nutrients they need in order to survive
Last week we unfortunately ran out of time to do our STEM canoe project. After returning from our LTMS tour we will begin designing and building our canoes. Students will work in pairs to design and then redesign based on the results of their first design.
This week our focus is on:
- plotting two sets of data on a coordinate grid
- extending a pattern and plotting the data on a coordinate grid
The test will be this Friday. Be sure to scroll down to the math resources. I have a couple of videos and links to math games that will help your child with our math focus.
Most days students will be able to finish their math practice in class. However, at home they could work on math facts, either through flashcards or www.xtramath.org. In addition, spend ten to fifteen minutes on www.frontrowed.com to practice our current concepts. If your child has mastered the ones for Numbers Base Ten, then move on to geometry as this is often one that interests students and one they can accomplish independently. Any time your child is requesting more math opportunities, direct them to this site. They are familiar with it.
So many parents have already signed up. Please consider doing so if you haven't already. Remember that students earn a free mechanical pencil when a parent enrolls in the messaging service.