Because Science Matters: November 2015
Completing the Circuit
Child Nutrition Services
On November 30, we will launch a new partnership between Child Nutrition Services and Elementary Science!
- Collaborate with cafeteria managers and team leaders to supply food materials for core module instruction. (For example: carrots for critters, snack items for mixtures, fruits and veggies for planet models.)
- View a complete list of items available from the cafeteria and details on implementation of this process here.
- Invite campus cafeteria managers or Kristin Andrews from Child Nutrition Services to classrooms to observe how these materials are supporting classroom instruction.
- Display student learning made possible through this partnership in the cafeteria. For example, models of the planets, mixtures, parts of the plant...
Professional Development Opportunities
Details coming soon
- Kindergarten - Living on Earth
- First Grade - Fur, Feet, Feathers, and Fins
- Second Grade - Balance in Motion
- Third Grade - Earth's Interactions
- Fourth Grade - Changing Earth
- Fifth Grade - Earth Adventure
Register for trainings in Eduphoria. Please let us know your campus needs.
Hour of Code is coming! Sign up here for a free training in Leander!
Date:12/05/15, 8:00 AM-3:00 PM at LEO Conference Center
The Hour of Code is a one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify code and show that anybody can learn the basics. Join this world-wide movement on December 7-13.
Things to Remember
Science Module Pick-Up and Delivery
- All science modules will be picked up the week of January 4th. We recommend teachers pack up modules BEFORE the Winter Break. For specifics check your Campus Module Rotation.
- New modules will be delivered no later than January 18th.
Critter Care for the Holidays
- All critters must be returned before the winter break. The last day to send critters back to the Science Materials Center is the morning of Wednesday, December 16th.
- Complete a Critter Return Request form at least one week before the end of instruction of the module.
- The link to the form can be found on the curriculum website for each grade level in the box for that unit of study. This form will notify the Science Materials Center to send out a return cooler and ice packs.
- Remember not to release any critters or send them home with students.
- Be sure to order new critters for the third nine weeks prior to leaving for the winter break.
Third Grade: The assessment window opens December 2nd and closes January 8th.
Fourth and Fifth Grade: The assessment window opens December 14th and closes January 8th.
Use the data from the science assessments to focus instruction during the "tweener" time. Fifth grade may find the STAAR Connections a great resource for this time. This is a great time for students to engage in inquiry, PBL, and STEM investigations.
Update From The State Board of Education
At the September State Board of Education meeting, it was decided to streamline the science TEKS. This week, they will discuss and outline the process.
- Streamlining will begin Spring 2016.
- Adoption will take place January 2017.
- Implementation will be Fall 2017.
We will continue to update you as we receive information.
Elementary Science Department