A Christmas Carol Background
- Charles Dickens had a lonely childhood and adulthood.
- He had 10 kids.
- Had more than one wife.
- He worked as a law clerk and hated it.
- The start of this was when the hand tool was invented.
- It started in the 18th century
- They started to accept factory systems.
The Victorian Era
- Charles grew up after the Victorian Era.
- Queen Victoria grew Britain's empire.
- She ruled a quarter of the population and covered about 1/5 of Earth's land..
- When Queen Victoria died almost every part of life got touched.
Child Labor & Poverty during Victorian Age
- Children as young as five would work for 12 hours or more.
- Poor children and adults would work to provide for themselves and others.
- Children would work for less then the adults did.
- Wealthy people moved away from poor people.