Friday News Roundup
Mrs. Morey's Second Grade Classroom
Week of 1/29/16
Dates & Reminders
- 2/1 - 2/5 Star Student - Ava
- 2/1 Talent Show Dress Rehearsal after LAUNCH
- 2/2 Jump Rope for Heart 2:00 - 2:30 p.m.
- 2/3 Talent Show in gym @ 1:30 p.m.
- 2/5 Priority Re-enrollment ENDS
- 2/8 Classroom Spelling Bee
- 2/12 Famous American Biography Essay due
- 2/12 Valentine Exchange & the 100th day of school
- 2/15-2/19 Mid-Winter Break
- 2/22 - 2/26 Star Student - Stella
- 2/22 Famous American Trifold Board due
- 2/23 Schoolwide Spelling Bee
- 2/29 Famous American Costumes due
- 3/4 Famous American Presentations
- 3/4 Last day of the 2nd trimester
- 3/9 Pottery Night 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- 3/11 Report cards go home
Working diligently on their research!
Our classroom door decorated for the Great Kindness Challenge
While we've had our share of indoor recesses the past few weeks, we are staying active with the help of GoNoodle.com. The students love the upbeat songs and funky dance moves!
What did we learn this week?
Math: Students continued with math rotations, Rocket Math (fact fluency practice), Number of the Day problems, and Number Talks.
Social Studies: Students worked hard to finish their research. Several students began writing their biographies and are almost finished!
Science: Students began the new FOSS unit on Pebbles, Sand and Silt. They answered the question: 'What happens when you rub rocks together?' and learned vocabulary such as rocks, weathering, and geologist.
Literacy: Students learned about various poetry like cinquains, limericks, and acrostic poems. Students began writing their poems for their trifold boards.
Writing: Students learned how to organize and write a three paragraph biography essay.
Math: Students will continue with math rotations, Rocket Math (fact fluency practice), Number of the Day problems, and Number Talks.
Social Studies: Students will work on biographies and poems.
Science: Students will continue learning about rocks and learn about what happens to rocks when they are washed. They will begin studying the properties of different types of river rocks.
Literacy: Students will work on biographies and poems.
Writing: Students will work on biographies and poems.
Read Aloud: The BFG by Roald Dahl