The Trojan Times
Saint Maria Goretti Catholic School November 17, 2019
Dear St. Maria Goretti Catholic School Families,
I hope you all are enjoying your weekend. It is amazing to think that we are already well into November and are looking forward to Thanksgiving and enjoying that week off!
Progress reports were emailed to parents last Friday. If you did not receive your student's report for some reason, please call or email Mrs. de la Pena (firstname.lastname@example.org). Remember, the progress reports are simply a "snapshot" of the students' grades. Please remember to check FACTS/Renweb for the most up-to-date grades.
If you are currently not enjoying the benefits of using our Scrip gift card program, now is the perfect time! Purchase gift cards for all of your holiday purchases and gift giving either online, in person, or by returning a paper order form that comes home each week in your child's Friday Folder. Tomorrow is the last day to order physical gift cards from our Scrip program if you would like to receive them by this Friday, before the Thanksgiving break. Please see further down in this newsletter, visit the school website, or use the following link for more information.
In keeping with the focus of our November Faith Families, Blessings, the students have been collecting food items to share their blessings, especially during this season of giving, with our annual Thanksgiving Food Drive. The Thanksgiving Food Drive ends Tuesday! Please be sure to check out the information below to find out what each class/grade is being asked to donate. We appreciate your help as we encourage our students to spread the love of God by serving others.
Finally, we will be hosting our first Open House for prospective PreK and Kindergarten students on Tuesday, November 19th, 9:00-10:30AM beginning in the Library. If you know any families who may be interested in a Catholic education for their children, please invite them to attend the open house or call anytime for information and a tour of the school. We are advertising this event and St. Maria Goretti Catholic School through various mediums and communications, but the best advertisement comes from you, our wonderful SMG families!
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
St. Maria Goretti, Pray for Us!
Laura Behee, M.Ed.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
PreK and Kindergarten Open House!
Thanksgiving Food Drive: November 4-20
As the year passes and the season of Thanksgiving is near, families in need may not be able to have a day of thanks like most of us are able to enjoy.
Student Council is sponsoring our annual Thanksgiving Drive. We ask that you have your child bring $1 to assist in the purchasing of turkeys; we encourage students to make the donations from their own pockets, if possible. It would express thanks to God for all He has given them. In addition to the dollar, we ask that students bring one specific item for the drive. Each grade level is responsible for a different item for the the basket.
- Pre-K: box of mashed potatoes
- Kindergarten: 2 cans or packages of gravy mix
- 1st: boxed pie crust mix
- 2nd: 2 cans of pie filling
- 3rd: 16 oz. package of stuffing mix
- 4th: 2 cans of cranberry sauce
- 5th: 2 cans of vegetables (same type)
- 6th: small bottle of cooking oil
- 7th: 2 cans of fruit (same type)
- 8th: 2 cans of creamed soup (same type)
SMG Club Opportunities
Girls of Grace: NOW ENROLLING - Devotional journaling group for 5th-8th grade girls meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month from 3:30-4:15PM. First class begins January 15th. AbbeyLewisMaryandMartha@gmail.com
Running Club: Pre-K - 8th Running Club meets from 3:30-4:15 pm (weather permitting). Nov. 7, 21, Dec. 5, 12, Jan. 14, 21, Feb. 4, 11, 18, Mar. 3, 24, 31, April 7, 21, 28, May 5, 12. https://ec-prod-sites.s3.amazonaws.com/12396/documents/2019/10/Running%20Club%20sign-up%20form%202019.pdf
Saint Cecilia Singers choir meets Mondays from 3:30-4:15PM and is open to all 3rd - 8th Grade students.
SMG Ballet Folklorico: All interested 5th-8th grade students are encouraged to join! No dance experience is necessary. The group meets on Mondays from 5:30 to 6:30PM. For more information, please email Mrs. Zavala at email@example.com.
Library Aid Society: Open to all 4th & 5th Grade students; meets every other Thursday from 3:30-4:15PM. Email Mrs. Cottingham for more information, firstname.lastname@example.org.
PSIA 2nd/3rd Math: Wednesdays 3:30-4:15PM email@example.com
PSIA 4th/5th Math: Wednesdays 3:30-4:15PM firstname.lastname@example.org
PSIA 6th-8th Math: Thursdays 3:30-4:15PM email@example.com
PSIA 6th-8th On-Site Drawing: Mondays* 3:30-4:15PM firstname.lastname@example.org *(days vary-see schedule)
PSIA 3rd-5th Ready Writing: Thursdays 3:30-4:15PM email@example.com
PSIA 6th-8th Ready Writing: Tuesdays 3:30-4:15PM firstname.lastname@example.org
Rubrik's Cube Club coming soon - watch for details
Chess Club coming soon - watch for details
Art Club FULL
SMG Gym Director Needed!
SMG is currently in need of a Gym Director for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
Gym Director Job Description
- Assist sports coordinator with game day operations, including setting up the gym prior to all game days (basketball games are on Friday evenings and Saturdays) and tearing down gym after games.
- Assist sports coordinator with operation of concession stand by helping coordinate volunteer workers, setting up and cleaning up.
- Assist sports coordinator with the planning and execution of pre-season and post-season tournaments (Pre-season 7th grade basketball tournament will be the week of December 2, and the post-season 8th grade basketball tournament will be the week of February 17).
Hours per week will vary depending on game schedule, but will be between 4 and 8 hours during regular season. Tournament weeks will require more hours. This is an hourly, paid position. Please email or contact Ms. Seyer at email@example.com or Mrs. Behee at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Purchase Holiday Gift Cards Through Scrip at SMG
Scrip is a Gift Card Program that gives back! Purchase gift cards to your favorite stores and restaurants, and they give a portion of the sales back to the school. Currently we give 75% of the profits back to our families for tuition credit. Program runs April 2019-April 2020. There are 3 ways to purchase: Online, Paper Order Form, and during SCRIP Office Hours.
3 WAYS TO ORDER ARE AVAILABLE:
Online: www.ShopWithScrip.com: quick and easy from your computer or personal device. Please note the 3 types of gift cards listed above are available when ordering online. If ordering a physical card, the order must be placed by Monday at 9:00 a.m. for a Friday delivery.
Order Form: All orders must be submitted by 9:00 a.m. on Monday morning to ensure Friday delivery. Only physical cards available.
School: in-stock SCRIP is available for purchase at the school during SCRIP Office Hours. SMG SCRIP Office Hours, Inside Cafetorium doors
- Monday 8:30am-9:00am
- Wednesday 7:45am-8:15am
- Friday 7:45am-8:15am
Order forms must be turned in to the SCRIP coordinator, or the front office, by Monday at 9:00am to receive your order by Friday of that week.
Questions? Contact Olivia Bradley at SCRIP@smgschool.org
The 2019-2020 Annual Fund and End-of-Year Giving
The St. Maria Goretti Catholic School Annual Fund is essential to help fill the gap between tuition and operating expenses. The school’s 2019-2020 Annual Fund helps provide funding for many of the school’s most pressing needs such as academic enhancements, security improvements and updates, professional development for our teachers, and general operating expenses.
With the end of 2019 just around the corner, this is the opportune time to include the school’s 2019-2020 Annual Fund in your End-of-Year giving. Donations can be made by check (payable to SMG Catholic School), or online by visiting https://smgschool.org/give-now. Every gift counts!
Uniform Requirement: Cardigan Sweaters
Students must have the required cardigan sweater as part of the Full Dress/Mass Uniform. Those out of uniform will be issued a uniform demerit and parents will be notified. Students in PK-5 wear the red sweaters and 6-8 grade students wear the navy blue sweaters. Please visit Mills Uniforms to purchase at https://www.millswear.com/UPL/3424.upl.html.
LAST WEEK AT SMG.....
We began our day with Mass followed by a reception and celebration for our Veterans and guests. Third grade students entertained us with music and junior high students shared readings and poems. A slide show of our SMG veterans and a video of 3rd grade students reading their Veterans Day compositions closed the presentation.
First Meeting of the Saint Cecilia Singers
PreK 4: Fall Leaf Fun
Kindergarten: 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
2nd Grade Science: Investigating Solids
2nd Grade Science: Observing and Making Puddles
3rd Grade: Code Talkers
3rd Grade Science Fun: Magnet and Cart Tricks
7th & 8th Grade
PreK 3: God Made the Leaves and the Trees
PreK 4: Simple Sentences
1st Grade Thanksgiving Compositions and Art Work
2nd Grade: The Light of Christ Shines in Me
4th Grade Compositions
5th Grade: Saint Reports
Music: Peter and the Wolf
School Website Under Construction
Pardon our reconstruction.....we are in the process of cleaning up and updating the school website. This is a work in progress, and we ask for your patience as we work to improve the site. In the meantime, if you are unable to find information you are looking for on the website, please feel free to call the office.
- Monday, 11/18: Saint Celicia Singers 3rd-8th 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 2nd-8th Spelling 3:30-4:15PM; SMG Ballet Folklorico 5:30-6:30PM; Robotics Club 6:00-7:30PM
- Tuesday, 11/19: PreK and Kindergarten Open House 9-10:30AM; PSIA 6th/7th Reading Writing 3:30-4:15PM
- Wednesday, 11/20: PSIA 2nd/3rd Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 4th/5th Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 1st/2nd Creative Writing 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 4th-6th Maps, Graphs & Charts 3:30-4:15PM; Robotics 6:00-7:00PM
- Thursday, 11/21: SMG Running Club 3:30-4:15PM (weather permitting), Art Club (1st-8th) 3:30-4:20PM; Library Aid Society 4th/5th NO CLASS; PSIA 6th-8th Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 3rd-5th Ready Writing 3:30-4:15PM
- Saturday, 11/23: Robotics Competition
- Monday, 11/25-Friday, 11/29: Thanksgiving Break; No School
- Monday, 12/2: Saint Celicia Singers 3rd-8th 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 2nd-8th Spelling 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 4th-8th On-Site Drawing 3:30-4:15PM; SMG Ballet Folklorico 5:30-6:30PM
- Tuesday, 12/3: PSIA 6th/7th Reading Writing 3:30-4:15PM
- Tuesday-Thursday, 12/3-5: Christmas Store
- Wednesday, 12/4: PSIA 2nd/3rd Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 4th/5th Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 1st/2nd Creative Writing NO CLASS; PSIA 4th-6th Maps, Graphs & Charts 3:30-4:15PM; Robotics 6:00-7:30PM
- Thursday, 12/5: SMG Running Club 3:30-4:15PM (weather permitting), Art Club (1st-8th) 3:30-4:20PM; Library Aid Society 4th/5th 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 6th-8th Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 3rd-5th Ready Writing 3:30-4:15PM
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
Serving the North Texas Catholic community by providing the faithful opportunities to grow in Christian discipleship and strengthen their relationship with Jesus Christ.