Mason Dixon Elementary
Principal's Newsletter October 2019
Tuesday October 8 - PTO Meeting 6:00 p.m. in LibraryWednesday October 9 - Lion's Club Vision Screening
Monday October 14 - No School for Students
Wednesday October 16 - 4th Grade Science Field Trip
Thursday October 17 - N.E.S.T. Program 6:00 p.m. in Library
Friday October 25 - 2 hr Early Dismissal for Students
Thursday October 31 - Fall Party & Costume Parade
Friday November 1 - Visit from WV Author & Storyteller Bill Lepp
In the News
- 4th and 5th grade students attended the WV Black Bears baseball game to kick off their school year in August.
- Pre-K and K students attended the Fire Safety Play at University High School on October 3rd. Please take time to change the batteries in your smoke detectors and practice your fire safety escape plans at home with your family. Make sure children know where you would all meet after you are out of the house.
- All classrooms start their day with a morning meeting as a time of sharing, planning for the day and instruction to build their social and emotional skills to make school a positive learning space for all students.
- Check out our Writer's Showcase - displayed in the hallway this year are examples of the writing that students are completing in all grades Pre-K to 5th.
- Celebrate Reading & Celebrate You Program - To celebrate our love of reading and celebrate our students, all students will receive a free book for their birthday.
Fall Party October 31
Mason-Dixon will host its annual fall costume party for students on Thursday October 31st. Due to safety concerns, only children in grade 5 and younger may participate in costumes. All Monongalia County Schools Dress Code Policy rules are in effect for student costumes which means there can be no form of weapons, blood, or references to violence. No adults may attend in costume. Please keep in mind that your child’s costume should be brought to school with them in the morning and be able to be worn over the clothes they wear to school that day. Students are not to come to school in their costume. In grades 1-5 students should be able to put on their own costumes so items such as face paint that they cannot do on their own should be limited. Only parents of students in Pre-K and Kindergarten will be allowed to arrive at 2:10 to help their children prepare for the parade. Homeroom party parents may also arrive at 2:10 to set up prior to the parade.
The costume parade will take place outside beginning at 2:30, parents are encouraged to line the sidewalks and roadway to watch the parade. Please arrive prior to 2:30 as no traffic will be allowed to travel up the hill once the parade starts. Parents will be allowed to enter the school to join their child’s classroom party following the parade. If you plan to take your child home following the classroom party please sign your child out with their classroom teacher and plan to exit the parking lot by 3:30 to make way for buses. If it is raining, the parade will take place in the gym.
If you plan to pick up your child prior to the start of this event, please plan to pick them up between 1:45 and 2:00. Please send a note that you will be picking them up early to their teacher that day. These students will need to be signed out in the office with proper identification.
Any questions/concerns can be addressed by classroom teachers or the principal. We hope that this will be an enjoyable event for everyone.