Titan Talk Newsletter
Feb. 2, 2019
BEST TECHNOLOGY PRACTICES @ EPMS
- Students who crack their screen and turn it in for repair can only be issued a different device after the $100 dollar fine has been paid.
- Students who have devices that have a system malfunction will be issued a replacement device to use for the remainder of the school year.
- Every student who has been issued a device has also issued a charger. Lost chargers cost $ 40 dollars.
- EPMS will have a school-wide device and charger checkpoint coming soon. Please help your child locate their device, bag, and charger.
- All missing devices should be immediately reported to the media center staff.
Thank you for taking the survey. It should only take five to ten minutes.
2/2 - Titan Advantage @ 9 am - 12 noon
2/4 - 6TH GRADE BREAKFAST OF EXCELLENCE - CEREMONY BEGINS @ 7:30 AM
- 2/4 - Girl's basketball Practice @ 4:30p to 5:30p (GYM)
- 2/5 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05p to 5:30p (Media Center)
- 2/5 - Orchestra PreLGPE Concert @ 7:00p to 8:30p (Gym)
- 2/6 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111)
- 2/6 - BASKETBALL: Crabapple vs. Elkins Pointe ‐ HOME Location: Gym @ 5:30 pm
- 2/7 - 8th Graders Visit Milton High School Rising Freshmen Location: Milton High School ﴾13025 Birmingham Hwy, Alpharetta, GA 30004, United States﴿
- 2/7 - FCA @ 7:45 am (Media Center)
- 2/7 - Student Council @ 8 am (E‐106)
- 2/7 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05p to 5:30p Location: Media Center
- 2/ 7 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿
- 2/7 - Boy's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/7 - MILTON HIGH SCHOOL ‐ Rising 9th Grade Parent Night. Hosted by: Milton High School. Time: 6:30 PM ‐ 8:30 PM Location: Milton High School, 13025 Birmingham Hwy, Milton, Georgia 30004, Who: Parents of students rising to 9th grade @ MHS and rising 9th grade students.
- 2/8 - Interact Meeting @ 7:45a to 8:15a Location: E‐114
- 2/8 - SGC Meeting @ 7:45a to 8:15a Location: Teacher's Lunchroom
- 2/8 - PTSA Gen Mtg @ 9 am in Cafeteria @ 9:00a to 9:30a Location: Cafeteria
- 2/8 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Newman﴿ meet in Atrium except when raining
- 2/8 - BASKETBALL: EPMS vs. Taylor Road ‐ AWAY Location: Taylor Road Middle School ﴾5150 Taylor Rd, Alpharetta, GA, United States﴿ @ 5:30p
Calendar Dates to Note:
* NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
SCHOOL CLOSED - FCS HOLIDAY - 2/15
SCHOOL CLOSED - PRESIDENT’S DAY - 2/18
NO SCHOOL - ELKINS POINTE FULL RELEASE DAY - 2/19
SCHOOL DAY REINSTATED - IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE - 3/8
FRIDAY, MARCH 8th, 2019 IS A SCHOOL DAY
STUDENTS REPORT TO SCHOOL - FCS CALENDAR CHANGE
* ALL STUDENTS & TEACHERS REPORT TO SCHOOL *
Note: ALL Elkins Pointe students will now have school
on the day above to make up for school closing in the fall for Election Day.
Message From the Principal
At Elkins Pointe, everything that we do is centered around growing Smart, Happy, and Connected students. This week we celebrated the 8th grade and 7th grade Breakfast of Excellence. We selected Mrs. Malikah William as our 2019-2020 Teacher of the Year. Also, we dealt head-on with a vaping/juuling issue within our school. We are committed to doing everything possible to create a safe and secure environment to make our kids successful.
Thank you to all the parents and students who attended the 8th grade and 7th grade Breakfasts of Excellence. We appreciate you coming out early in the morning to honor student achievement. Thank you to the PTSA, our parent volunteers and Town Center Chick-fil-a for providing breakfast. The 6th grade Breakfast of Excellence will take place on Monday, February 4th at 7:30 am.
Congratulations to our 2019-2020 Teacher of the Year, Mrs. Malikah Williams! Mrs. Williams teaches 8th grade Mathematics and is the Chair for Student Council. Mrs. Williams motivates her students to perform and do their best by working hard to ensure they are successful. She dedicates her lunch to talk to her students and understand their struggles with the concepts. Mrs. Williams has a growth mindset and teaches her students real-life application outside of the classroom. She even has her class greet visitors in a different language when they walk in the door.
The last subject I would like to address is related to my communication sent out about vaping/juuling. It is essential for the health and well-being of our students that we as school hold our students accountable. We cannot help our children if we cannot face this nation-wide epidemic. Parents, we need you to become familiar with the terms and tools of vaping/juuling. Please have conversations with your children about the consequences and hazards of vaping. We also need parents to check backpacks for vaping devices. Unfortunately, the products are readily available online and in stores. Federal and State regulations for sales are just now starting to focus on eliminating access to minors.
Thank you to all the parents who called and emailed with your support. I have included some resources on vaping/juuling below. We are an excellent school because of the love we show our children.
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
What do E-Cigarettes Look Like?
SMART, HAPPY, CONNECTED
Congrats to 2019-2020 TOTY!
THINGS TO CLIP
Box Tops - 2/22
BOX TOPS DEADLINE IS APPROACHING!
All Box Tops must be turned in by February 22, 2019, for the spring submission. Please carefully trim your box tops and ensure that all submitted box tops have expiration dates on or after March 1, 2019, Box Tops expiring prior to this date cannot be submitted. Place all Box Tops in a baggie and turn them into the front office collection box or to Mrs. Streeter’s Room.
Box Tops can be clipped from participating products. See the full list of products here: http://www.boxtops4education.com/participating-products.
You can also earn Box Tops for Elkins Pointe via a free app that you can download in the App Store. Just download the app and check for offers each time you shop. After checkout, simply redeem the offer in the app and scan your receipt. Points from the offers are added to our online account within hours of your purchase (PLUS you can still clip the Box Tops on these products and submit them for the general submission).
Each Box Top is worth .10 - schools can earn thousands of dollars through this program! Our goal was to raise at least $400 this year through this program, although the fall submission only earned us $100, so we really need your help in meeting our goal. Note that our feeder elementary schools raise $1,000 or more at their schools, so please think of sending some of your Box Tops to Elkins!
THINGS TO KNOW
The Next Titan Advantage -2/1
The Titan Advantage program will serve as an academic workshop open to all students regardless of level. Teachers have issued permission slips to students directly through their WINN classes. If you would like for your child to participate, please contact your child's WINN teacher or bring them to the workshop and complete a permission slip.
Titan Advantage is from 9 am to 12 noon. Here are the dates for 2019:
- Feb 2nd, 9th, 23rd
- Mar 2nd, 9th, 16th 23rd
This enrichment opportunity offered on Saturdays, free of charge. All students are invited to maximize or remediation in the content mastery areas which are assessed on GA Milestones (ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies). To fuel students through two, one-hour blocks of uninterrupted instruction, students are treated to a hot breakfast, snack, and pizza. National Honor Society, high school students, are brought in to help tutor students 1-on-1. The academic sessions are taught by dedicated expert staff members committed to student success for all Titans!
6th Grade Breakfasts of Excellence - 2/4
The Breakfast of Excellence recognizes students for their "Excellence" by awarding students in these categories:
- "A" Honor Roll: all "A"s on the semester 1 report card; this includes Connections classes.
- "A/B" Honor Roll: "A"s, and "B"s on their semester 1 report card. There must be at least one A on the student report card in an academic subject (e.g. ELA, Math, Social Studies, Science, World Language).
- Perfect Attendance: No absences during the first semester. This includes attending all eight periods of the school day, and not having any tardies.
Sign Up Link to help: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64-breakfast1
Sign up to help serve at the 6th Grade BOE! If you are attending the breakfast with your child, you can help serve and when the ceremony begins you can join your child. Questions? Contact: Veronica.OBrien@andritz.com
Parents and their honored student(s) are invited to this breakfast to celebrate. Pastries, fruit, juice, and coffee are being provided by the EPMS PTSA and our wonderful business partner, Roswell Town Center Chick-fil-A, is graciously donating chicken biscuits.
Scoliosis Screening - 2/20
Attention Elkins Pointe Parents: WE NEED VOLUNTEERS for the Scoliosis Screening event on Friday, February 20th, from 12 noon - 3:30 pm. Volunteers must be Scoliosis Screening Trained. This is a really important event because between the ages of 11-14 is the prime period of identification for scoliosis of the spine, and early detection and early treatment is the key to reversing scoliosis so it is not a life-long problem.
If you can sign up as a volunteer, we will feed you lunch, snacks, and coffee on the day of the screening. For those that were certified through training last year, you do not have to retake the training course. Please, direct questions to Jennifer Rodman: firstname.lastname@example.org.
EPMS Spirit Night @ Dos Margarita's - 2/22
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week ☘ 💓 😎 Week of March 4-8
TEACHER & STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK is March 4th-8th, 2019. The theme is "Every Day Should Be a Holiday!"
- Monday - We are Lucky to Have You! St. Patty's Day - Irish Coffee with a Grab-N-Go Breakfast
- Tuesday - Turn Up for Tuesday/Cinco De Mayo - Fiesta Luncheon with Taco bar
- Wednesday - YOU are the Heart of our school! Valentine's Day - Dessert Buffet!
- Thursday - Summertime Pool Party to celebrate the TOTY/POTY Awards Breakfast!
- Friday - Let the Good Times Roll! Mardi Gras Snack Cart to end the week!
Help with Purchasing:
If you would like to help purchase items for our teachers and staff, please click on the Link: http://a.co/aMy2gAo
Sign Up to Help: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64-teacherstaff
International Night Sign Up
International Night Performers Wanted! - March 21st, 2019
Our EPMS International Night is fast approaching on Thursday, March 21 from 6-8 PM. This is one of the biggest and most successful event for us and our community. We are in need of performers and talented individuals (teachers, students, parents and professionals) to show and share their talent. We are calling actors, singers, dancers, jugglers, ventriloquists, pianists, drummers, guitarists, cheerleaders, etc. We would love for you to share your abilities with us during the International Night. Please email Monsieur Mendy at email@example.com if you would like to perform.
THINGS FOR STUDENTS @ EPMS
Coding Club @ EPMS - Tuesdays after-school
Coding club will be officially starting on Tuesday, Feb. 2nd. It will be run by the coder school from East Cobb The club will meet on Tuesday afternoons from 4:15-5:15. This is an amazing opportunity for students 6-8! It's super convenient that they are coming right into the building AND the school is funding 20 spots. We hope to have participation from all of the grade levels.
Parents can fill out an application for their child at http://bit.ly/epmscoderclub
Multicultural Club - Thursdays after-school
The MultiCultural Club will meet on Thursdays, The next meeting will be on on Jan. 31st after school. The sponsors Mr. Roberto Contreras-Murillo and Mrs. Vani Jacob. The objective is to create a deeper understanding of different cultures, to celebrate diversity and to promote acceptance and tolerance of all.
This club promotes teamwork. Students who participate in a socially diverse environment show tolerance towards their peers which results in better teamwork in the classrooms.
- To provide opportunities for students to interact with different cultures.
- To encourage students to learn about a foreign country and its culture.
- To engage students in action and present their knowledge of a new culture during International Night.
- To promote acceptance of diversity and respect for each other.
Flag Club & Spirit Squad Coming Soon!
PTSA Student Meeting - Save the Date! - 2/11
Let your voice be heard!
The next student PTSA meeting is Feb 11 from 8-8:30 in the Media Center
Join us for doughnuts and brainstorming on how we can make the rest of 2019 the best year at EPMS ever!
Volunteer Opportunity for Students - 2/22
Hembree Springs Family Dance is requesting middle school volunteers. They are asking for middle school students to come and help with their "The Dot" themed family dance! Hembree Springs wants to say, "Those of you that helped last year were amazing!" Please come help again on Friday, Feb. 22nd.
Click on the link to Sign Up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054fadad2faafd0-family2
FOR 8th GRADE PARENTS
RISING 9TH GRADE PARENT NIGHTS @ ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL
ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL
LOCATION: Roswell High School Auditorium
11595 King Road, Roswell, GA 30075
ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL HONORS, AP, & DUAL ENROLLMENT NIGHT
Date: Thursday, February 21, 2019
Time: 6:30 pm in the evening
Place: Main Gym of Roswell High School
Who: Parents and rising 9th-grade students
The Organizer is Roswell High School.
Please check the Roswell High School website to make sure there are no changes.
RISING 9th GRADE PARENT NIGHTS @ MILTON HIGH SCHOOL
MILTON HIGH SCHOOL
RISING 9TH GRADE EVENTS FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS
LOCATION: Milton High School School Auditorium
13025 Birmingham Hwy, Milton, GA 30004
MILTON HIGH SCHOOL RISING 9th GRADE PARENT NIGHT
Date: Thursday, February 7, 2019
Time: 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Place: Milton High School Auditorium
Who: Parents and rising 9th grade students
The Organizer is Milton High School.
Please check the Milton website to make sure there are no changes.
RISING 6TH GRADE PARENTS
6th Grade Transition Dates 2019
Pointe Team Members Visit Elementary Schools on Tuesday, March 5, 2019:
- Mimosa – 9:00 – 9:45
- Sweet Apple – 10:00 – 10:45
- Vickery Mill – 11:00 – 11:45
- Hembree Springs – 1:30 – 2:15
Rising 6th Grade Parent Meetings:
ENGLISH PARENT MEETING is on Tuesday, March 12, 2019, in the CAFETERIA
- Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- TAG Parent Meeting @ 6:45 p.m. in the GYM
SPANISH PARENT MEETING is on Thursday, March 12, 2019, in the Cafeteria
- Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- TAG Parent Meeting @ 6:45 p.m. in the Cafeteria
Rising 6th Grader Visits to EPMS:
- Mimosa Elementary – May 15, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Vickery Mill Elementary – May 15, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Sweet Apple Elementary – May 16, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Hembree Springs – May 17, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
GA Milestones Testing Dates (Grades 4, 6, 7):
- May 6 - Reading
- May 7-8 – ELA
- May 9-10 – Math
- May 13-14 Make-Up Days
THINGS FOR PARENTS
Parent University @ MHS - 2/27
Save the Date for the Teen Summit - March 2019
Upcoming in February 2019...
- 2/11 - PTSA Student Member Meeting @ 8:00a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/11 - Girl's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/12 -2/14 - Orchestra ‐LGPE Dates ‐ TENTATIVE
- 2/12 - Hampton Film Academy Location: Media Center @ 4:05p to 5:30p
- 2/12 - Boy's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/13 - SCOLIOSIS FORMS DISTRIBUTED via WINN TEACHER MAILBOXES (Opt‐Out forms returned by 2/18)
- 2/13 - Jr. Beta @ 8:00a to 8:30a Location: Media Center (White)
- 2/13 - Katha Stuart Mtg @ 9:30 am ‐ RNES
- 2/13 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿
- 2/13 - BASKETBALL: EPMS vs. River Trail ‐ AWAY GAME Location: River Trail Middle School ﴾10795 Rogers Cir, Duluth, GA, United States﴿ 5:30p
- 2/13 - Chorus pre LPGE concert Location: GYM @ 6:30p to 7:30p
- 2/14 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 2/14 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿
- 2/15 - SCHOOL CLOSED - FCS HOLIDAY
- 2/18 - PRESIDENTS' DAY: NO SCHOOL FOR STAFF/STUDENTS Location: SCHOOL CLOSED
- 2/19 - NO SCHOOL - ELKINS POINTE FULL RELEASE DAY
- 2/20 - Milton/Roswell High School Freshman Visit
- 2/20 - Scoliosis Screening Location: PE Locker Rooms (6th & 8th Grade) SignUpGenius: hps://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64‐scoliosis5 SPINE ALERT ‐ SCOLIOSIS SCREENING DAY ‐ February 20, 2019. Volunteers (20) are needed. All 6th‐grade & 8th‐grade students will be screened for scoliosis. Every year at the screening, students are identified for the first me, and this is why this is so IMPORTANT! SCOLIOSIS CHAIR: Jennifer Rodman at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2/20 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿ @ 4:15p to 5:15p
- 2/20 - BASKETBALL: EPMS vs. Northwestern ‐ AWAY GAME Location: Northwestern Middle School ﴾12805 Birmingham Hwy, Alpharetta, GA, United States﴿ 5:30p
- 2/21 - FCA Meeting @ 7:45a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/21 - Student Council (Location: E‐106) @ 8:00a to 8:30a
- 2/21 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05p to 5:30p Location: Media Center
- 2/21 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿
- 2/21 - Boy's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/21 - ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL Honors, AP & Dual Enrollment Information Night @ 6:30 pm. Where? RHS Main Gym. Wh? Rising 9th-grade parents and students
- 2/22 - Hoops and Kicks for Heart Location: GYM (All Day)
- 2/22 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Newman﴿ Location: meet in Atrium except when raining
- 2/22 - BASKETBALL: Holcomb Bridge vs. Elkins Pointe ‐ HOME GAME Location: Gym ‐ Elkins Pointe @ 5:30 pm
- 2/25 to 3/1 - RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS WEEK
- 2/26 to 2/28 - SHINING STARS
- 2 /26 - Film Academy @ 4:05 - 5: 30 pm in the media center
- 2/27 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿
- 2/28 to 3/2 All-State Band Location: Athens GA/Wilson
- 2/28 - FCA @ 7:45a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/28 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 – 5:30 in the media center
- 2/28 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿ Location: meet in Atrium