The BEST of Burkland!
A weekly newsletter of HBB news and happenings
Happy New Year!
Happy New Year HBB! With 2020 upon us we thought it would be a good time to talk about goals!
New Year’s Resolutions and Goals aren’t just for adults. Working with your child to set goals for the New Year can be a great opportunity to build self-efficacy skills and can be very empowering to a child. The ability to set and achieve goals is incredibly important and is essential in reaching one’s full potential. It’s never too early to start teaching your child how to set and achieve goals and if you are considering working with your child to set goals for the coming year here are a few tips:
- Value the process! Try not to be overly critical about the goal they choose. The goal must be important to them, not you. The most important part of goal setting at this stage is just learning how to set a goal and then achieve it….what they pick is less important. Have faith that over time they will get better at this and will eventually choose more challenging goals.
- Be a role model! Set goals for yourself and stick to them! Talk to your child about the process you have gone through and the potential struggles along the way.
- Keep it positive! Try not to be overly critical and have fun with it.
- Keep it manageable and achievable! One goal is enough to start. Some kids are going to try for overly ambitious goals. Some kids think of goals and they immediately want to conquer world hunger. Talk to your child about the importance of setting goals that are realistic and attainable.
- Follow up! Once your child has set a goal follow up with them and try to get them to stick to it! Support them along the way and talk about your own struggles accomplishing your goals.
Remember, the ability to set and achieve goals is powerful! Your efforts to teach your child how to set goals for themselves will serve them well now and in the future.
Have fun and Happy New Year!