BAMS Staff Newsletter
March 20, 2016 - Volume 3, Issue 26
Be Awesome Today!!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2016, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing rubric score from the September 2015 opinion writing rubric score.
***Mid-Year Update: 62% of our students are showing growth. Grade levels noted that students have shown improvement in "citing and using evidence" in their writing. "Knowing the audience" was a skill that the data showed our students needed improvement in.***
- Have Patience and Courage
- Purposefully Use Learning Targets/Lesson Goals for Every Lesson
- Have Solution Based Discussions
- Be an Award Winning School - DPI School of Recognition/PBIS School of Merit
Driving Question for 2015-2016:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare all our students for higher level thinking opportunities?
News and Notes
- For our pep assembly this week, please be purposeful about where you are in the gym. Some of our students do better with us supporting them. It is okay to sit with our students in the bleachers to model appropriate behaviors and to support students.
- With Spring Break next week, the next newsletter will be out on April 3rd.
- Scheduling Possibilities for Wisconsin Forward Exam - The School Improvement Team is meeting on March 22nd to create our testing schedule. We have dates for STAR Reading, STAR Math, and our 3rd Writing Benchmark already set. There is a change that these assessment dates will be changed to accommodate our testing schedule. We will discuss the schedule at the April 6th staff meeting.
- Proctor Training for Wisconsin Forward Exam - On April 6th, we will finalizing our plan for our state assessment and also train everyone for administrating the test. Building Aides, please plan on being present at this staff meeting.
- BAMS Dress Code - Please take time to review our school dress code if you need a refresher. With the weather getting warmer, we might see some need for reminders. I have not experienced the dress code being high priority concern in our building or for our students. Nevertheless, we want to maintain our school policies. Kim, Jenny, and myself are the point people for addressing concerns that you are not comfortable with. We treat each student and situation on an individual basis and then make a judgement call about what we feel is the best response. Thank you for trusting us to support this process.
- Don't forget about taking accurate daily attendance. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help with this.
Out of the Office
- March 22 - Admin Meeting, 10-11am, DMR
- March 23 - BCT Meeting, 8:30-10am, Team Room
- April 6 - Oriole Way Meeting, 7-8am, Team Room
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
Minor Behavior form link - here
Major Behavior form link - here
Why Do We Discipline? = To Maintain Safety, To Teach, and To Build Relationships
- BAMS Buck Blitz - Hopefully you saw Brandon's email about our PBIS focus for this week. We are looking for students and staff to work hard. We hope that this will lead to less off task behaviors in the classroom if we are purposeful with this blitz. The office will give reminders about this throughout the week.
- 3rd PBIS Celebration - The Next PBIS Celebration is April 1st (this is not a prank). We will have choices for students to choose in various locations in the building. We will also have doughnuts available for students to purchase with their BAMS Bucks. We will run a pep assembly schedule on this day.
Next Meeting - April 6th, 7am - Team Room
Dates to Remember
- March 28-May 20 - Wisconsin Forward Exam Assessment Window 3-8
- March 21 - School Board Meeting 7pm
- March 24 - End of 3rd Quarter
- March 24 - Third Quarter Pep Assembly 1:45pm
- March 25 - March 30 - Spring Break
- March 31 - 3rd Quarter Grades Due 3pm
- March 31 & April 1 - Regular Schedule Days
- April 1 - PBIS Celebration - Kids Choice Day/Doughnuts
*See Google Doc titled "2015-2016 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.