Weekly Family Update # 39
May 31, 2020
Hello Falcon Families,
We have a very busy week coming up. This week all families will be coming to campus at a designated time to return items and also pick up student work. Please see the detailed message below for more information and the schedule for families. I look forward to seeing you!!
We need parent volunteers to help with textbook collection in the library. Please use this LINK to sign-up to come help. We really appreciate it. Thanks so much to our PTSA for your help organizing our volunteers, we cannot do this without you!
If you missed completing the Online Continuing Student Registration process during the month of April, the window is going to reopen for a limited time beginning TOMORROW, June 1st! Please make sure you are registering your student if you plan on attending PUSD next year. More detailed information and the web link is is below.
On Friday we have our 8th Grade Drive-Thru Promotion Parade. I am excited to celebrate this milestone with our Falcons. Please join us on Friday, June 5th from 1:00pm-4:00pm.
UPDATE: All promoting students will have the opportunity to exit their vehicle to take an optional picture in front of an Oak Valley Middle School backdrop/banner. Please note that only students will be allowed to exit the vehicle and families will need to remain in the car to snap a photo of their student. We have extended the time of our parade to allow for students to participate in this opportunity. This is optional, so if families do not feel comfortable exiting the vehicle, they will be able to bypass the picture area.
More detailed information and a map of the parking lot parade route will be sent home to all 8th grade families later this week. We are excited to be able to provide this opportunity for our Falcons.
Families are encouraged to arrive at their designated times so that we can lessen the amount of traffic in the area:
I cannot believe we are starting June. This school year has just flown by. From now until our last day of school on Thursday, June 11th, we plan to finish strong with a focus on student learning and connecting with students. Students will be finishing units and completing any missed assignments up until June 8th. Distance learning continues the week of June 8th with opportunities for enrichment and practice until our last day of school. Next week, due to our materials return and our promotion parades, office hours will be utilized during this time for supporting staff and families with these activities. Teachers will let their classes know if any modifications in office hours the week of June 8th will be made.
Have a great week Falcons!
Thanks for all you do for our Oak Valley Community! Go Falcons!
Beaming with Falcon Pride,
Oak Valley Middle School
All Falcon Families Textbook Drop off and Item Collection Event
This week, we will start collecting textbooks, library books, registration documents, any remaining books borrowed from teachers, and Chromebooks.
- This is drive-thru only, no one is to exit their vehicles
- Please legibly write your student’s first and last name—in dark ink—on a regular size sheet of paper and display this on your car’s dashboard
- Only stop in the designated collection area
- You will hand items you are returning to OVMS staff through your car window
- Any textbooks or library books that have been checked out to your student. A list of all outstanding items will be sent home to families this week via email from library staff.
- Signed 2020-2021 Registration Documents If you completed your online registration packet, you will turn in these forms: the PUSD Signature Verification Form (make sure both you AND your student have signed) and the Student Health Form (only 7th graders will turn in the health form). Directions for printing these documents is attached to this newsletter.
- CHROMEBOOKS A separate message was sent home to all families who borrowed a Chromebook. We welcome the return of these devices along with your student’s textbooks.
- You will receive a bag containing any items we have to return to you including: Art Corps projects, promotion certificates and medications
- Please adhere to the schedule below, however, if your designated collection time interferes with a sibling’s 5th grade promotion event, please attend promotion! This is an important event for families. You are welcome to come return your items on our makeup day on June 8th
Tuesday June 2
8:30-10:30 Last Name A-C
10:30-12:30 Last Name D-G
Wednesday June 3
8:30-10:30 Last Name H-K
10:30-12:30 Last Name L-O
Thursday June 4
8:30-10:30 Last Name P-S
10:30-12:30 Last Name T-Z
Monday June 8
9:00-11:00 Any remaining families
Band And Orchestra Instruments
There will be a special drop off event for instruments on Friday June 5 from 10-11. Families will pull into the parking lot and will drop off instruments to be returned on the curb. Mr. Nowak and Ms. Lazzari will reach out to those families needing to return instruments.
PE Locker Clean Out
If you were unable to clean out your child's PE locker during our designated times, please email: Assistant Principal, Dr. Shannon Chamberlin firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a pick up time.
The Library Needs Your Help for Textbook Check In!
Our Oak Valley library needs to check-in 6000+ textbooks starting this week. We still need LOTS of help between June 2 and June 8 to help check in the books, sanitize and organize them for next year. Gloves will be provided but please bring your own mask as we will be practicing appropriate social distancing. We will make sure all people feel comfortable and safe as they move in and out and around the library.
Sign sign up for multiple shifts if you can since we'll need all the help we can get. Please use this link Textbook Return 2020 to sign up.
Continuing Student Online Registration - Window to Re-Open Tomorrow!
Click here for an update from your Counselors and Student Services Specialists. Please share this information and the activities with your Falcon student.
New Student Enrollment
Due to the emergency school closures, Poway Unified School District has updated the new student enrollment process for the 2020-2021 school year. While schools are closed, the enrollment process will be completed electronically. You can view enrollment information on the PUSD website. We appreciate your patience as we work through this process together. We look forward to helping you prepare for the upcoming school year, and can't wait to meet our new students once schools reopen.
Attention 6th Grade Parents!
All students entering the 7th grade in August will need to be up to date with their immunizations. Attached to this newsletter is a list of all required immunizations. Please email your child’s immunization record to our health tech, Anne Shaughnessy ASAP, email@example.com.
Internet for All
The San Diego Country Office of Education has put together the following list of resources for families that are in need of internet service. Click the link below for more information!
The California Emerging Technology Fund has has provided this link to affordable offers as well as a number to call (1-844-841-INFO (4636)) someone who can assist parents:
Did you know PUSD has an app?
On the PUSD app, you can:
1. Choose which schools to follow in Settings
2. Receive emergency messages from the alert center
3. See what's happening on the calendar
4. Follow along with the News Stream
5. Catch the latest sports scores
And MUCH MORE! Download for FREE on the App Store and Google Play Store.