Managing in Education
Feb 2014, Izmir
Izmir University of Economics invites you to a two week intensive course on the subject of:
Managing in Education
3rd-14th February, 2014
This course is intended to help experienced professionals in a language teaching context who are working in positions where their role includes management responsibilities for the institution and/or its staff and students, or for those who wish to take on such a role in the future
Details: The course will take place at Izmir University of Economics from Monday 3rd to Friday 14th February, 2014.
Cost: The course cost of €500 covers all aspects of tuition, including certification, assessment, articles as well as tuition itself. Also included is lunch and coffee/tea on all the course days
For further information and other details please contact:
Bahar Ulku Kızıltunalı
Head of Preparatory Program,
Izmir University of Economics
Tel: 0232 4888385
Meet the trainers:
Andy Hockley is co-author of “From Teacher to Manager: Managing language teaching organisations” (CUP, 2009), author of “Educational Management” (Polirom, 2008), and co-author of the upcoming book “Managing Education in the Digital Age: Choosing, setting up, and running online courses”. He is the lead trainer on the International Diploma in Language Teaching Management (IDLTM) – regularly delivering it in Australia, Spain, the Middle East, and Vietnam. He frequently delivers workshops, conference talks and other trainings, primarily on the subject of ELT Management. He is a long standing and key member of the IATEFL Leadership and Management Special Interest Group (LAMSIG) committee.
About the course
Objectives: The goal of the course is to help professionals in a language teaching context to apply insights and skills derived from management theory and practice to their current or future work as managers.
Specifically, the course is designed to enable you to:
- extend your knowledge and awareness of relevant management principles and practices
- share ideas, experiences, and best practices, and learn from one another as well as from the literature and the experiences of the trainer and other language teaching managers around the world
- develop your management skills through the application of this knowledge and awareness to your own context
Course Overview: The course will cover the full range of management in education topics, all of them focussed on the specific needs of managing in ELT but especially in the contexts of the participants. Before the course you will be sent a questionnaire such that the course can be tailored very extensively towards your contexts.
The topics to be covered will include:
- An introduction to management and leadership
- How organisations function and the specifics of the educational organisation
- Managing teachers – recruiting, managing, motivating, supervising, observing, appraising, giving feedback, supporting, mentoring, delegating tasks, managing conflict, etc.
- Accreditation and quality, developing new courses, curriculum management, professional development
- Project management and change
- Getting and responding to feedback from students and other customers, managing the “customer journey”
- What marketing involves, and how best to get and keep students
- Costing, pricing, budgeting, and monitoring finances
Certification: Participants’ understanding and ability to apply the work done will be assessed at the end of the course through a group simulation project and subsequent individual assignment. Those who successfully complete the assignment will receive a certificate of achievement at pass or distinction grade, with topics covered listed on the back.