Coding 4-5 B
MP4 Week 5
Python Install Problem Fixed!
- IT has installed Python on all PALCS computers. Please follow the directions below to run Python and/or watch the Virtual Lesson Recording below if you encounter problems.
- There is no Question of the Week as most of the recording covers the Python install.
- Please come to chat this week with your Flowchart & Python downloaded.
Getting started with Python
IT has installed Python on all PALCS computers!
- Go to your software catalog (you may need to restart your computer first)
- Go to PALCS
- Go to Python 3.4.4
- Click install
- 2 Desktop icons will appear on your desktop: Idle & Python
- Click on Idle
- A Python shell window opens! You can now start coding! Just type into the window after the the angle brackets (>>>).
- We'll be coding a program together in Python in chat and running it in Scratch!
Try it! Make Your Computer Say "Hello World!"
- Open IDLE (the shell window opens)
- Click the "file" menu and choose "new file" (this opens the code window)
- In the new blank code window type: print ('Hello World!')
- Make sure you used single quotation marks!
- Save the code: click "file", "save as", name it HelloWorld, and "save."
- Click the "run" menu and select "run module." (this will run the program in the shell window)
- Output: look in the shell window. The "Hello World" message should appear when the program runs! You've just created your first bit of code in Python!
*If a pop-up window appears with a SyntaxError message it often means there is a spelling mistake or typing error in the code.