Freshwater Biome Project
By: Mckenzie and Christina
Ponds & Lakes
- Ponds: Seasonal, lasting just a couple of months.
- Lakes: May exist for hundreds of years or more.
- 3 different "Zone" determined by depth & distance from the shoreline:
- Topmost - littoral
Streams & Rivers
- Bodies of flowing water moving in one direction.
- Streams & Rivers can be found everywhere start at headwaters (springs, snowmelts, lakes) and travel to their mouths (water channel or the ocean).
- Water changes very much during the travel from the headwaters to the mouths.
- Areas of standing water that support aquatic plants such as marshes, swamps, bogs.
- Highest species diversity for all ecosystems.