Leading the pack in education
March 21 House Meeting
March 21 Afterschool meeting cancelled
March 23 Fire Drill
March 24 PLC/Art Day
March 24 PTA Meeting with Movie Under the "STAAR"s
March 25 School Holiday
March 28 House Meeting (Encourage 4th and 5th Graders on their upcoming test)
No meeting, day before STAAR- please help cover up content in the hallways
March 29 STAAR Testing
March 30 STAAR Testing
March 31 Abuelo's Come & Go 4:30-6:00
April 1 Fun Run during Specials
April 4 House Meeting, Brief Faculty Meeting & Vertical Teams, PTA Board Meeting
April 4-20 Open enrollment period for students out of district or out of "zone"
April 8 Doughnuts with Dad 7:30-8:30 Outside Gym
April 8 RHS Elementary Cluster Concert 6:30-7:30 @ Coliseum
April 11 House Meeting and Campus Teams
April 12 Dr. Clark Visit to see Tier 1 Priorities and Standards Based Instruction
April 12 3rd Grade Musical 2:00-2:30 and 7:00-7:30
April 15 Community Coffee and End of the 5th Six Weeks
April 18 Faculty Meeting
April 19 Grades Due in Skyward for 5th Six Weeks
April 20 LOL in the Afternoon
April 21 PLC/Art Day
April 22 House Celebration Meeting
Extended PLC this week!
PLC's should be meeting weekly to answer the 4 questions. This week we have an extended block of time that you can dig in deeper to collaborate with your team. If you need additional times during the next 9 weeks, please let your team facilitator know and we can work on making this happen.
1. What do we expect our students to learn? (Goals/Expectations)
2. How will we know they are learning? (Assessments throughout the unit
3. How will we respond when they don’t learn? (Intervention- daily in class)
4. How will we respond if they already know it? (Extension- daily in class)
Common Formative Assessments should done after mapping out the six weeks, then planning for learning should take place.
If you need any support in this, please contact our coaches, Erin, and myself.
Fun Run April 1st!
Elementary Tip of the Week: USTREAM
Elementary App of the Week: Google Maps
Genius Hour: Where Passions Come Alive
Recently Mrs. Dunahoo, with a team from BISD, visited a school where students persued their passions for one hour a week and used this passion to make meaningful connections with all their content on a daily basis. This learning has been called "Genius Hour" and has been proven to be very positive for students on many levels.
Genius hour is a movement that allows students to explore their own passions and encourages creativity in the classroom. It provides students a choice in what they learn during a set period of time during school. Below is a short video with some basic information on this concept and a link to their homepage.
This is not something that we will be doing as a whole school next year, but from what I have seen it seems very student centered and well worth further examination. If you would be interested in looking into this more with me, please send me an email and we can get together to discuss how we can learn more about this practice.
Recess and Quiet Zone
As testing time comes closer for 5th grade it is important that we all do what we can as a team to help them out. It will be a huge help if you could use an alternate route other than passing their classrooms to go to and from the playground. It creates significant noise in the classrooms when the door is open to have students enter or exit the building. The red area is the absolutely no talking zone. If students are playing outside, please let them know they need to stay away from this area and there should be no noise close to the building.
Open Enrollment Information
Click title for additional details or go to www.birdvilleschools.net/openenrollment
TAGT on Demand
TAGT On Demand is now open for teachers who are interested in getting started on their annual 6-hour update for 2016-2017. If there are teachers who did not complete their 30-hour or the 6-hour update for this year, they may also continue working on that task. District guidelines require that it be completed by December 31 each year, but the logins BISD paid for will be available until June 30. Please finish hours for this year as soon as possible. Courses are being posted in Workshop as quickly as possible once teachers submit their certificates to Katie Waldrip.
Pictures of Students
If you would like to add picture to the digital sign just upload the pictures to the following folder:
Reminders and Focus
The gates will be locked during school hours and can be opened by your key. During the school day (7:30-4:00 on none Aspire days: 7:00-6:00 on Aspire days) these gates are to be treated like an exterior door. Adults and teenagers should not enter these and should go through the main doors, even at dismissal.
- Our goal is to be level 3 (or moving close to it) in most areas on the district rubric for TEKS centered teaching. I have seen many great examples of students interacting with the TEKS in class. Be sure to not only post them, but have discussions so that students understand the goal of their learning.
- Continue to build strong, positive relationships with all the students. Smile often. Choose to see the good and positive. Focus on growth and celebrate often. Nothing is more helpful in the learning process than the effects of trust and joy.
- PLC's should be meeting weekly to answer the 4 questions. Common Formative Assessments should done after mapping out the six weeks, then planning for learning should take place. If you need any support in this, please contact our coaches, Erin, and myself.
- Rigor, relevance, and engagement strategies should be focus on when planning student learning tasks.