We Are Together Tamanend!
April 21, 2014
TMS Community Garden
Sumbitted by Mrs. McDonald
The Tamanend Wellness committee has been hard at work making our school a healthier community. One of our major initiatives over the last year was to bring a garden to Tamanend so that our students can enjoy the many benefits of growing their own fresh vegetables. We were fortunate to recruit the skills of a former student, Alex Z., in order to complete the job. Alex, a student at Central Bucks South, was searching for an Eagle Scout project and we were in need of major help; it was a perfect match. Alex researched the most effective and organic way to create the three-bed garden. Along with the help of Boy Scouts from his troop, NJHS students, and other community members, Alex installed the garden over the past few weeks. He worked tirelessly on this job, especially when it came time to lay the cinder blocks and haul the soil. Last Wednesday, Alex completed the construction of the garden. It is our hope to begin planting lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, and even carrots beginning in mid-May. As the school year comes to a close, we will be in need of help tending to the garden, but this job will not go without a reward. Any food harvested will be yours to keep or to donate to the local food pantry. Look for more information about how to sign up for a week this summer in one of our upcoming Tamanend Connections. If you have any special gardening skills or any questions concerning this project, please email Mrs. Mary McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to give a special thanks to the following for making this garden possible: Alex Z. (Eagle Scout Candidate), Boy Scout Troop 172, National Junior Honor Society Volunteers Natalie K., Sam L., Jamie M., Jenny Y., Mr. Brett Connelly (former Tamanend parent), and Lowe's Home Improvement.
Report Card Day: April 22
Report Card Day was changed to tomorrow, April 22nd, for all CB secondary schools.
Report Cards come out four times a school year. However, the Parent/Student Portal is accessible at anytime during the school year making it an excellent tool for keeping tuned into your student's progress. Use it as a springboard for conversation and goal setting. Collaborating at home and together with Tamanend teachers is exactly what we mean by IF-YET-TRUST.
Calling All Supporters of the Visual Arts in CBSD
Submitted by the CBSD Art Department
The Central Bucks Art Department is seeking art lovers interested in contributing to the Central Bucks Art Scholarship Fund through an advertising donation of $20.00 . All proceeds will go directly to fund Art Scholarships for three graduating seniors from our high school programs who are pursuing a career in the Visual Arts. In recognition of your generous donation, the Central Bucks Art Department would like to place a copy of your business card in our District Art Show Program to further foster our District and community connection. Please submit your business card and your $20.00 donation to your school Art Teacher by Monday April 28th. All checks may be made payable to the CB Art Scholarship Fund.
Tamanend Middle School PSSA:
- Science Tests: April 29-30
The best way to prepare for test days (and all school days) is for students to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, and bring a bottle of water and a snack to school. Students should have two #2 pencils for the tests. Students should not bring their phone or any other personal electronic devices to school on testing days. Cell phones and all other personal electronic devices are prohibited by the state during testing. Students often forget that they have phones on them, that is why we ask that students do not bring them to school AT ALL during testing days. Thank you for your support.
Keystone Algebra I Test Dates: May 20 & 22
Tamanend Middle School Parent Council-LAST ONE
Thursday, April 24th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School.
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card. Note, each year you need to reselect Tamanend so that your shopping benefites TMS.
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, KMart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Got R.o A.R.?
Tiger Track Winner
Christine G. was nominated by Miss Hughes for her Acheivement.
Mrs. Price nominated Matt S. for his Respect, Achievement, and Responsibility.
Tiger Track Winner
Miss Hughes nominated Mackenzie E. for her Achievement.
Plan for Excitement this Summer
Notes from Previous Tamanend Connections:
- Students may not arrive to school in the morning until 7:10 AM. That is when staff members are available to supervise students.
- Click here for up-to-date calendar information about both the 2013-14 and the 2014-15 school years.
- There is a Parent Portal app for your smartphone. Click here for more information.
- Click here to view previous Tamanend Connections from 2013-2014.
- For information about Tamanend's 2013-2014 Yearbook, click here.
- The Freshman Day and Dance date has been moved to June 13th in response to our adjusted calendar.
- We frequently conduct safety drills here at Tamanend Middle School to ensure that our students are prepared for various types of emergencies. It is important that your student dresses appropriately for weather, including shoe choices.
- Because the Parent Portal allows parents/guardians to check student progress on a regular basis, we will no longer print and send home interim progress reports. We encourage all parents/guardians to log in and check the Parent Portal on a weekly basis. Parents have access to current grades, assignments, attendance, and more.
- Parent Volunteers Needed! Please sign up using our online form. Code word = tms.
- Click here to learn about CBSD efforts against bullying and for resources helpful to parents on this important subject and more.
- We need parents, students and staff for our Wellness Committee. If you are interested in helping with a fitness program after school, starting a vegetable garden in our courtyard, or have some other ideas to help our students and staff "go green" and stay fit, please contact Mrs. Mary McDonald, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus and Ms. Brenda Scheffey about becoming involved in our Wellness Committee.
- To receive text alerts from CBSD, click here.