Room 26 Weekly News
May 16, 2016
It's testing week!! This week, your child will be taking the California Smarter Balanced Assessment. Our testing schedule will be as follows:
- Monday - ELA Performance Task
- Tuesday - ELA Assessment
- Wednesday - Math Performance Task
- Thursday - Math Assessment
- Friday - Makeup testing (if necessary)
Testing will begin at 9:00 a.m. each morning. Students will be given as much time as they need to complete each section of the test. Time estimates are 2-3 hours for each section of the test, but that will vary from student to student. Please make sure your child has a book at school every day this week in case they finish testing earlier than their classmates.
There will be NO homework this week. I told the students last week that their official homework this week will be to play outside after school. After sitting still for so long during testing each day, it will be especially important to be active in the afternoons, get some fresh air, and get the blood pumping!
In order to help your child be as successful as possible on the tests, I ask that you please:
- Ensure your child gets a good night's sleep every night
- Make sure your child eats a healthy breakfast with protein to fuel the brain
- Send healthy, nutritious snacks to school this week
- Encourage your child with positivity and lots of support. They have worked very hard this year and know everything they need to know for this test. Remind them to read slowly and carefully, to do their best thinking, write complete 3-point responses, and to double check their work before they move on to the next question. This test is NOT timed. They have as much time as they need to complete each section. There are no benefits to finishing quickly. It is much more important to be careful and thorough than fast.
Please note that due to the state testing schedule, our P.E. schedule will change this week. We will have P.E. on Monday and Thursday afternoons. Our normal P.E. schedule will resume next week.
P.E. - Monday and Thursday afternoon
Music - Tuesday
Library - Thursday
Art - Friday