By Tyler Lanier
What is your DNA technology topic and describe it?
A transgenic organism contains a gene or genes which have been artificially inserted instead of the organism acquiring them through reproduction. Transgenic means that one or more DNA sequences from another species have been introduced by artificially means. Animals usually are made transgenic by having a small sequence of foreign DNA injected into a fertilized egg or developing embryo. Transgenic plants can be made by introducing foreign DNA into a variety of different tissues.
Who would benefit from this technology?
The benefits of these animals to human welfare can be grouped into area: agriculture, medicine, and industry.
- Disease resistance
- Nutritional Supplements
- Human Gene Therapy
- Military Uniforms
- Tennis Racket Strings
- Medical Micrsutures
What are the pros and cons of the use of this technology?
- GMO technology can develop crops with higher yield, with less fertilizer, less pesticides, and more nutrients.
- GMO is more predictable than traditional breeding.
- With GMO technology, the desired genotype can be created instantly in the current generation.
- GMOs have not been tested thoroughly. GMO safety tests are sometimes as short as 90 days, which is not long enough to prove that a substance is safe for long-term, multi-generational human consumption.
- GMOs contain novel proteins that could trigger allergic reaction.