Frankenstein Final Project
Knowledge Back Then and the Dangers it Possess
1) My first example is in chapter eleven: "In my joy I thrust my hand into the live embers, but quickly drew it out again with a cry of pain." (Shelly 85-86)
- This could situation could be seen as a good thing because the creature has discovered fire but the danger comes after this revelation. The creature learns that fire is dangerous and uses it to burn the family's house down.
2) My second example comes from chapter thirteen : "I also learned the science of letters as it was taught to the stranger" (Shelly 99)
- It is a positive that the creature learned to read but because of this knowledge the creature reads Victor's journal and learns how he is created. This upsets the creature
3) My third example comes from chapter thirteen: "I cannot describe to you the agony that these reflections inflicted upon me; I tried to dispel them, but sorrow only increased with knowledge." (Shelly 101)
- The creature has now learned to reason and it is affecting his behavior. The more he learns, the more flaws he finds within himself.
4) My fourth example comes from the letters in the beginning of the book: "I shall satiate my ardent curiosity with the sight of a part of the world never before visited" (Shelly 1-2)
- This exploration seems like a great advancement but the thirst and push for this accomplishment almost leads Robert right to his death on his exploration.
5) My fifth example comes from chapter five: "but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished" (Shelly 42)
- Victor has accomplished his dream of creating the monster but now that he has completed his milestone he no longer want to be a part of it. He realizes what he has done and it bothers him.
My sixth example comes from chapter 13: "Was I, then, a monster, a blot upon the earth, from which men fled and whom all men disowned" (Shelly 101)
- The creature has now learned how people react to his appearance. Now that he understand why people are afraid of him he knows that Victor is to blame and that is who he plans to target.
Knowledge Today and Modern Connections
"The nation's high school graduation rate hit 81 percent in 2012-13, the highest level since states adopted a new uniform way of calculating graduation rates five years ago."(U.S Department of Education)
- This shows me that younger kids today are trying to gain as much knowledge as possible and that's important because knowledge is important. I agree that sometimes Knowledge is dangerous. In Shelly's book the examples are listed above. In today's time trying to acquire knowledge can leave you in a financial pit you may never get out of. you could go to college and grads school, spend a bunch of money and never get a job. But new knowledge is only dangerous the first time you hear it. After you acquire that knowledge it can be used in the future for tasks that occur to have the same circumstances and you can avoid fault. The more you learn and the more you know allows you to become a more prepared and productive citizen.