Cahill Class News
A class of readers and leaders
11/10/14 What we are learning!
The italicized questions drive what we are learning. We will focus on these questions throughout the entire unit. The statements below are the student learning goals for the week.
- What text features do readers use to navigate and understand non-fiction?
- How do readers use text structures to navigate non-fiction texts?
- How do readers use non-fiction sources to answer questions?
- What strategies do readers use to comprehend non-fiction?
- I can identify and use non-fiction text features.
- I can determine two or main ideas of a text.
- How do writers select a research topic?
- How do writers determine the essential details to include?
- How do writers organize their research to best inform their audience?
- I can write effectively according to my purpose for writing.
- I can select a topic and gather information to share with my audience.
- Why express quantities, measurements, and number relationships in different ways?
- I can determine common multiples of unlike denominators.
- I can create equivalent fractions using common multiples.
Weekly Specials Schedule
Tuesday-- B (Art is always on Tuesdays)
We are starting our unit on Non-fiction. We have been identifying non-fiction features and discussing how they can help us as readers. We will be using non-fiction features when we write our research papers.
This week we earned a party for our attendance incentive, Students loved wearing PJS and were all warm and cozy during reading time.
In Calendar Math this month we are using students heights to help us find the mean, median, and mode of data!
Updates and Reminders
The weather is changing this week and winter is coming. Please be sure that you child has appropriate attire for outdoor recess.
November 17-21- Book Fair
November 26, 27, 28- No School- Thanksgiving Break
Thursday, December 4th- Skating Party (6:00-7:30)
Our classroom expectation is that students read for 20 minutes nightly! This is considered nightly homework!
Our root word this week is "tele". It means far.