The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of September 17, 2018
What will you learn about the world by sharing stories from your life & the lives of others?
Lesson Plans DUE
Monday, Sep. 17th, 8am
- To the 2nd Grade Team: My Chat & Chew block will be during your lunch period this week. If you would like to meet to dialog about any of our initiatives, share questions or just have a laugh...let me know!
- Don't forget about our daily Morning Mindfulness sessions! All are invited...the fun starts at 7:45 in the Media Center!
Bulldog Buddies/SEL Team Meeting
Monday, Sep. 17th, 3-4pm
- We will be looking at Chapters 1-3 from the "Everyday SEL" text. All are invited to attend!
DIBELS Data DUE
Thursday, Sep. 20th, 3pm
- Please email your data to Mrs. Yaksta so she can enter everything into the DDS.
The Principal's POV on SEL Stories & Purposeful Talk
Each Monday we will be focusing on a different schoolwide SEL Story! Please designate a time do debrief with your students during the day. This can be right after announcements (ideally) or during a transition time that works with your schedule!
The centerpiece of the weekly SEL dialog will be our #EverydaySEL words (see pics below) and we should take the time to define what each term "looks like" for the kiddos as we engage them in purposeful talk. Some ways to get the ball rolling are outlined below, but I’m sure you can think of many more...and if you do, please share!
- Post an SEL Word Wall – Ask students to pick a term that applies to the story and share why in pairs and then as a class (the class portion would allow you to steer the kiddos towards specific terms, for example).
- Place the SEL terms on Popsicle sticks – have a pair pick a stick and talk about it…then pick the best for your class dialog!
- Post the terms in your Chill Zone: Hang or place our terms on a key ring and students can keep them in mind as they Pause, Own-it & Practice!
You might be asking yourself, what does this have to do with Danielson's FFT & our evaluations? Well, let's consider 3b: Questioning & Discussion Techniques. This is the perfect time to model expectations for how we interact with one another...and EVERY area of our curriculum will benefit from it! Check out the anchor charts below for some inspiration...and don't forget to share your own bite-sized best practices as you integrate this into your classroom routines!
Our Gr1 students are rocking with the "tag-in/tag-out" mindfulness activity!
Words to Inspire...
Learning takes place everywhere at #BullockES...even in our beautiful garden!
News & Notes
Article for Team Meetings: September's article for our team meetings is posted next to our "Everyday SEL" board. Please pick-up a copy when you are in the front office...I can't wait to have some collaborative conversations about this chapter from "Lead Like a Pirate!"
Essential Q's & Social Media: If you wanted to learn more about this initiative, stop by Mrs. Romalino's classroom on Tuesday after dismissal!
Gr3 Choir: Honors Choir will start on Tuesday, September 25!
DIBELS Data is due Thursday, September 20.
Emergency Sub Plans: Emergency Sub Plans will be due by Friday, September 28.
Class Dojo: If anyone would like training on Class Dojo, please contact Sonya.
Class Trip Reminder from Mrs. Dunn: Just a reminder that we are starting a new protocol with field trips this year. Staff have been told that I should be there first stop for my initials before turning in field trip request to the office. This way, I will be aware of the trip right from the beginning. If any field trip request forms come to the office, please look for more initials at the bottom and if I have not signed it, direct teacher to take form to nurse and then bring it back to office. Hopefully this will help with late or no notification to nurse regarding upcoming trips. Thanks, Marian
You're the Best...Quotes from the Staff!
THANK YOU to Mrs. Dunn (and Katie) for an AMAZING session of morning mindfulness earlier this week! You have an open invite to come back any time!
- Shout out to Sonya and Sarah: Thank you for your positivity, enthusiasm, initiative, and willingness to try!!
- Thank you TAG for all the hard work you’re putting into BSI, Orton Gillingham, the cool new staff bulletin board, and MORE! Your positivity is contagious
- OG girls I am loving spending time with everyone and learning new things.
- Castro my heart is with you in this heavy time.
- Second grade it is wonderful to see the second grade classes interacting so well in the gym. Great job!
- Kelli thank you for sharing the pictures with me.
- Hey, 3rd Grade! Keep rocking it! Remember, you are ALL superstars & YOU are making a difference in the life of every kid! Believe it…Own it…Let it SHINE!
- Thank-you Theresa for all the laminating you complete!
- Mrs. Dunn, Thank you taking some time for me out of your busy day. I always feel better
A big shout out to our new O-G trainees, Robyn, Laure and Toni. They're taking on a highly intensive program and they're rocking it! Way to go girls!
A big shout out to Andy! Thanks for always being around to help and to lend your expertise! What is that formula again?!
Thank you Carol for always being such a help! Your patience and kindness doesn't go unnoticed!
Community events/reminders are in bold.
- 08/29: Glassboro Dyslexia Conference (GHS)
- 08/30: Gr1 Orientation (10:00-12:00) & Bulldog Buddies Meeting
- 09/04: Teacher Inservice (GHS)
- 09/05: Teacher Inservice (Bullock)
- 09/06: 1st Day of School (FULL Day)
- 09/17: Bulldog Buddies/SEL Meeting
- 09/20: DIBELS & Gr3 Comp DUE
- 09/21: Hispanic Heritage Celebration & CAST
- 09/24: Gr1 Team Meeting
- 09/25: Gr2 Team Meeting
- 09/26: Gr3 Team Meeting
- 09/27: Specialists Team Meeting
- 09/28: CAST Meetings
- 10/04: Back-to-School Night (6:00 for BSI Session; 6:30 Session 1)