I. Complete the sentences with was, were, there was or there were
1. William Shakespeare_______ a famous poet and playwright.
2._________ some people waiting for you at the door.
3. How many apples _______ in the cupboard?
4. We ______ very tired when we finished the PE lesson.
5. You sister______ at the cinema with her friends last Friday.
6. How much milk _______ in the fridge yesterday?
7. Miguel de Cervantes_______ born in 1920.
8. The police________ investigating a crime in my area.
9. _________ a lot of people at the concert last night.
10. We ______happy with the exam results.
II. Use there was/were, it was/were
- They cancelled the soccer match because ________ snowing.
- Somebody ate my apple! Who ________?
- How many pages ________ in your grammar book?
- Who was that guy? ________ the movie star, Tom Hanks?
- ________ two birds sitting in that tree.
- ________ five miles from the station to my house.
III. Put the verbs in brackets into Past Continuous
- When I phoned my friends, they (play)__________ monopoly.
- Yesterday at six I (prepare)__________ dinner.
- The kids (play)___________ in the garden when it suddenly began to rain.
- I (practice)__________ the guitar when he came home.
- We (not / cycle)_________ all day.
- While Alan (work)________ in his room, his friends (swim)_________ in the pool.
- I tried to tell them the truth but they (not / listen ) ___________.
- What (you / do)__________ yesterday?
- Most of the time we (sit)___________ in the park.
- I (listen)________ to the radio while my sister (watch)_________ TV.
- When I arrived, They (play)_________ cards.
- We (study)___________ English yesterday at 4:00 pm .
Ex. I could run.
Write three things you can do now that you couldn't do when you were two.
Ex. I couldn't write when I was two, but I can write now.
Write two things you couldn't do when you were two and you still can't do.
Ex. I couldn't sing when I was two and I still can't sing.