Have you had anesthetics before?
Anesthetics is a way people found to relieve pain or to put someone unconscious. This became a way to help people as surgery and other things were done in the doctors. Anesthetics can be applied in many parts of the body such as teeth.gums,skin, and the spinal cord. Applying this causes the nerves to not send pain signals. There are two types of this, they are called local and general anesthetics.
- Is one of the most known and successful anesthetics
- it was discovered towards the end of the 18th century
- Nitrous is a colorless and has no smell
- Its a gas
- Humphry Davy started to see what the effect of this gas was doing to people so he called it the "laughing gas"
- For awhile it was used at carnivals where people payed to inhale it.
- Tell ma about an experience you have had with anesthetics(dentist/doctor) if you have never had the experience, do you foresee a future experience? -When i had a tooth in the back of my mouth they used laughing gas to calm me and to not feel the pain. It worked very well and i was giggly about everything for a bit.
- What are characteristics(functions) of the anesthetics that are desirable? -When is comes to anesthetics the desirable parts of it is that it makes the thought and feeling of pain disappear.
- What are characteristics(functions) of the anesthetics that are not desirable (dangerous) ?? -It can be dangerous for the fact that it can have a bad reaction and cause a spike in your blood pressure.
Before starting this lab we were taught the process of creating the solutions. We were told the different amounts of solute put into each tube to created a different percent.
To get 10% you would put 10% solute and 90% solvent
Lab set up!
Steps of the lab!
- First you had to make the solutions of 0%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, and 100%.
- You had to place the tube into the machine.
- The machine had a light shine through the tube.
- The machine would then calculate the amount of light allowed to go through the solution.
- The % is placed onto the data where a final graph was made.
Beer's Law states that the quantity of light absorbed by a substance dissolved in a fully transmitting solvent is directly proportional to the concentration of the substance and the path length of the light through the solution.
At the end of this lab i learned a lot. I came to understand how to make a solution. Also throughout the lab i learned about anesthetics and the background of it all. But for the experiment itself I saw that the more solute that was in the solution the less light that went through it. I also came to see that when you had more solute in the solution the darker and thicker the solution became.