The Ritenour Review
2016 - 2017 Third Grade Weekly News
ISTEP and IREAD
We are finished with ISTEP Part 1! The kids did amazingly well. They persevered through a challenging test. Thank you for your patience each day and for sending in snacks daily. The kids really enjoyed those :)
Next state test, IREAD, is around the corner. We will practice for the test this Tuesday morning. This allows the kids to see the structure of the test and how the online system works. We will take our official tests on Tuesday, March 14th and Wednesday, March 15th. These sessions will be in the morning. Please, ensure your child is here on those days. We have make-up days until the 17th, but after that, your child must take the test during the summer session.
- Beginning, Middle and End sounds in words
- Parts of a word: suffix, prefix
- Context clues
- Antonyms and Synonyms
- Homophones and Homographs
- Reading Comprehension
- Reading: We finished Wonder! It is such a beautiful story and I was thrilled to see the class excited about the ending. "Be kinder than is necessary."
- Math: We are starting our seventh unit! Time is flying! This week, we worked on saying the different place values to the right of the decimal and how those names connect to fractions.
- Social Studies: We looked at buyers and sellers and how we exchange goods and services.
Language Arts: We are talking about resolutions. How do our characters change after the climax of a book?
Math: Fractions and Volume
Word Study: We will start our sorts again! The class will be in different spelling groups again and will practice words within their spelling range. Look for those sorts tomorrow!
Social Studies: Economics!
Happy Birthday, Leap Year Boy!
- March 8th - Spring BME Blood Drive (BME Cafe 3:00-6:30)
- March 9th - PTO Meeting (BME Cafe at 6:00)
- March 14-15th - IREAD-3 testing
- March 22nd - Family Wellness Night (evening event - more details to come)
- March 24th - School Dress-Up: Favorite Pro or College Sports Team
- March 28th - Kindergarten Round-Up (click here for more info)
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.