Hawks Happenings UPDATE
Hybrid learners will return to campus on Monday, February 15 on A day/B day rotation
The BCS Board of Education met for a regular board meeting on Thursday, February 4, and voted to move all BCS students into Plan B beginning on February 15, 2021.
As a reminder, Plan B consists of in-person learning in Group A (Monday/Tuesday) or Group B (Thursday/Friday). Wednesday will be an asynchronous, remote learning day for all students with the exception of small groups of students who will attend school for targeted support and remediation.
- Please note, if you have opted for virtual instruction for the remainder of this semester, your child will remain a virtual learner, and tonight’s decision will not affect you.
The school board has closely conferred with local health experts and monitored our local COVID-19 metrics, which have consistently and significantly trended down over the past three weeks. Likewise, our schools have shown that the health and safety measures associated with Plan B can be successfully maintained in our schools. We continue to emphasize the 3 W’s (both in and out of school) and will adhere to the updates in the North Carolina Health and Human Services Strong Schools toolkit. Superintendent Dr. Tony Baldwin recognizes the extraordinary efforts by our teachers and staff to provide the best instruction to our students during this remote learning period, but internal data outlined at today’s work session reflect a need for a return to in-person instruction for our students.
The board also adopted guidelines to help the board in making further Return to Learn decisions. More details are below:
The Board will meet in a special called session to consider a change in plans if any of the following metrics are met following a 14-day pattern of improvement or increased risk:
Plan A = Diagnostic Test Positivity Rate (5% or lower) AND Yellow on the County Alert System Map
Plan B = Diagnostic Test Positivity Rate (7.9% or lower) AND Orange/Yellow on the County Alert System Map
Plan C = Diagnostic Test Positivity Rate (8% or higher) OR Red on the NC County Alert System Map.
These are guidelines and benchmarks only, and subject to consideration in the final decision-making process along with weekly patterns and trends associated with the following points of local data; new positive cases per 100,000 population; percent change in new positive cases per 100,000 population; and number of school clusters.
Campus opens for student drop off at 7:30 AM. Temperature and health checks are required. All students should be in class by 7:55 AM.
School will dismiss at 2:25. Car riders will be called from the classrooms as we did before to avoid mixing up groups of students.
While in Plan B, students will still eat lunch in their classrooms and have designated play areas on the playground. Students will travel to their specials with their homeroom class.
Daily schedules for Remote Learners and Hybrid Learners
Please see your child's homeroom Zoom times below. This will be for remote learners as well as hybrid learners while they are learning at home.
2nd Grade Zoom times:
- 8:00, 8:45, 10:30, 2:00
3rd Grade Zoom times:
- Web & Morton - 8:30, 9:20, 10:15, 2:00
- Hintz, Griffin, Morgan, Snyder - 8:30, 10:15, 2:00
4th Grade Zoom times:
- 8:00, 10:30, 12:30, 2:00
Please reach out to your child's teacher should you have any questions. Please note that the Zoom times are when your child will receive instruction. This is when they are taught new skills. Students MUST attend the Zoom sessions to learn grade-level standards.
More Detailed Return to Learn Information
Drop off starts at 7:30 AM. All students are eligible to have a free breakfast that they will eat in their classrooms.
- How will my child get to school?
- Bus riders: Parents must ensure your child is healthy before they board the bus. Bus riders will have their temperatures checked when they unload the bus and before they enter the school building.
- How do I know which bus my child rides and what time? Our fabulous bus drivers will be calling to remind you of your child's bus times. If you do not receive a call, please call the office at (828) 645-3127.
- Car Line: Students that will be Car Riders will go through the car line. All car riders much use Yost Street to access our school campus. Prior to students getting out of the car, our staff will be taking students' temperatures and doing a COVID screening. Please have students stay in the car until a staff member checks them. If the child has a temperature or is displaying symptoms, the child will not be allowed to come to school. Please remember to turn down the heat in your car before coming on campus so your child's temperature can be accurate.
What should my student bring to school?
- CHARGED iPad or Laptop and notebooks need to be in backpack when students come to school. The device will be sent home each night for charging.
- Headphones will be used daily (if you need a pair headphones let your child’s teacher know)
- Student folders (Kids First Folders) will be in backpack daily. Check folders for notes from school. Notes to us should be placed in these folders.
- Pencils, crayons, markers, notebooks, etc that were listed on your child's school supply list. We do not need any of the optional materials sent in. These items will be sent back home each night. Here is where you can find the school supplies if needed: https://www.teacherlists.com/schools/46980-weaverville-elementary. We do NOT expect you to go out and buy supplies this week if you don't already have the supplies at home.
- Washed water bottles should be sent daily. They MUST be in outside pocket of backpacks sitting upright not laying down. We want to avoid mishaps with the devices. If your child needs a backpack, please let us know. Water bottles may be filled up at school. Water fountains may not be used for drinking at this time.
- MASKS: Students are required to wear masks daily at school. *It might be a good idea to put an extra mask in their backpack in case their original one gets dirty. Please let your child's teacher know if your child needs a mask. We have plenty of masks we can give to students.
- Lunch: students are welcome to pack their lunches or eat a lunch provided by our School Nutrition staff. Breakfast and lunch is still free for all students but we do ask that ALL families complete a free and reduced lunch application. Free and Reduced Lunch Application
- Students will go outside for a 30 minute recess (weather permitting). Classes will have designated play areas. Students will continue to wear masks outside UNLESS they are participating in vigorous exercise and/or maintaining 6 feet of distance from others. Playground equipment may not be shared but your child is welcome to bring in a jump rope or ball for self-play.
- Students will travel to the specialists classrooms for lessons with the exception of STEM class - it will be in the homeroom classroom.
If your child takes medication at school or has rescue inhalers, then you will need to bring that medication back to school and check it in at the main office. Thank you!
Please help us all stay healthy!
If your child been around anyone who is suspected to have COVID, has ANY symptoms that are among the many COVID symptoms or isn’t feeling well PLEASE keep them at home. We have strict protocols that we must follow. If you send your child with symptoms (whether it is COVID or not) we will have to call and ask you to come and get your student. We are aware that children get sick with many different things, especially in the fall/winter/beginning of school. Sickness is expected, but this year as we face new challenges, we have more precautions and safety measures in place to ensure the safety of everyone. Please see the screening questions we will ask each day in the image below.
Changes to Bus Procedures (starting 2.15.21)
Buncombe County Schools has transitioned from our HSSA program (bus health monitor) to a parent attestation program. This means parents will need to perform the wellness check before sending their child to the bus stop.
When we come back to campus for learning under Plan B in January (date to be determined at this point), parents will need to take their child’s temperature and answer “no” to the provided health questions in order to allow their child to ride the bus.
Please know that bus riders, just like car riders, will now receive their wellness check and temperature screening when they arrive at school.
The question’s you’ll need to ask are:
--Have any of the children you are sending to the bus stop had close contact (within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes) in the last 14 days with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, or has any health department or health care provider been in contact with you and advised you to quarantine?
--Since you were last at school, have you or anyone in your household had any of these symptoms?
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
New loss of taste or smell
--Since you were last at school, have you been diagnosed with COVID-19?
If you answer “yes” to any of these questions, please do not send your child to school.
Students brought home a paper version of the letters below in November.
Parents of bus riders will be called with a reminder of bus times. We know that Bus 292 will need to run earlier to get students to school by 7:55. There should not be many other changes. If your child was NOT a bus rider in the fall and you would like to request bus transportation now, please call the school.
How do I access the school campus? How will car riders work?
Please remember that all school traffic should use Yost Street which is off Merrimon Avenue when dropping off students and picking up students as car riders. In the morning, cars must use Yost Street to enter our car rider line and when exiting the car rider line.
Due to COVID restrictions, parents are not permitted to walk their child to their classroom but you may walk your child to the top of the parking lot stairs to say goodbyes. Please make sure that a staff member who is on car duty completes the health screening for your child if you choose not to go through the car rider line. All students must complete the health screening PRIOR to exiting their vehicle when in the car rider line.
Your patience is appreciated as our drop off and pick up line will be longer than normal due to new requirements. In addition to the health screening in the morning, students will remain in their classrooms until they are called for car riders in the afternoon. This new procedure will help our limit students mingling with students from other classrooms but it will also take longer than normal. All parents MUST use the car rider line to pick up car riders in the afternoon.
A few WvES families live next door to the school and they are considered 'walkers'. Parents of 'walkers' may come to the top of the stairs near the staff/visitor parking lot or the side of the school near the cafeteria doors to wait for their child to be called. Please do NOT come to the gym door due to physical distancing guidelines. If you do not live next to the school and walk to campus to pick up your child, this does not apply to you so you must use the car rider line.
Makeup Pictures - Monday, February 15 and Thursday, February 18
Makeup pictures are only for students who missed picture day in the fall, those who want a remake or new students who were not enrolled on fall picture day
This link will allow parents to sign up to receive updates via email regarding their child's school portraits.
- These updates include promotions, additional deals and the ability to order more pictures at a later time. When entering student information, parents should be sure to enter the student's name as it is on file at the school.
To pay for pictures online follow this link:
- Click 'Order Pictures' and enter the following code: FM355577
- Please note that these are NOT Spring pictures. These are makeup Fall school pictures. For Fall pictures, you order the package you want and pay BEFORE you preview the pictures. This format always make for some memorable and funny pictures to look back on later in life. :-)
- Only students who missed picture day, want a remake or are new to our school will have pictures made on these days.
Makeup Picture Schedule:
- 2nd grade Hybrid Students: 9:15 - 9:45
3rd grade Hybrid Students: 8:15 - 8:45
- 4th grade Hybrid Students: 8:45 - 9:15
- Remote Only Students: 10:00 - 11:30
We do not know yet if we will have Spring pictures this year. We are looking into providing a class collage option in lieu of a class photo.
The monthly PTO is Tuesday, February 9th at 6:30 PM. Please check your email for the Zoom link.
Get to know your friendly office staff!
Mrs. Tammy English - Head Secretary/Bookkeeper
Mrs. Dana York - Data Manager/Informational Specialist
Need to catch up on previous Hawks Happenings Newsletters?
February 8 - 12 -Midterm reports will be shared with families this week
February 9 - PTO Meeting at 6:30 PM via Zoom - everyone is invited to attend!
February 12 - NB District Advisory Council Meeting - CANCELLED
February 15 - Group A students return to campus and makeup picture day
February 18 - Group B students return to campus and makeup picture day
February 25 - School Improvement Team Meeting at 2:45 via Zoom
March 1 - 5 Read Across America Week
March 3 - Kelly Starling Lyons Author Visit for celebration of Read Across America Week (more info to come!)
March 17 - The NED Show is coming to WvES! 10 AM performance via Zoom
March 25 - School Improvement Team Meeting at 2:45 via Zoom
April 5 - 9 - Spring Break!
April 29 - Leadership Day