P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
May 9th to May 13th
A Message from Mrs. Figueroa
Dear P.S. 188Q families,
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, grandmothers, aunts, godmothers and special women!!!
As we move into our second week of May, we continue to celebrate AAPI month. May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month – a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States (see the Asian-Pacific Heritage site for more details). Our country is the product of generations of hard work and determination from the millions of immigrants in our rich history.
We are asking students to wear a baseball jersey, baseball t-shirt or any sports jersey or t-shirt on Monday, May 9th. We will participating with many neighborhoods in the NYC/Long Island area to honor a ten year old boy named Lazar LaPena who recently passed away while playing baseball.
Thank you to all who donated to our Kids' Heart Challenge💕. We raised over $7,000 for the American Heart Foundation to fund research for kids' heart health! We enjoyed a time together with ALL the students from PreK to 5th grade in the school yard. Many of our teachers showed off their jump roping skills and the students had a great time. Please see a few photos below!
School begins at 8:00 a.m. Students that arrive after 8:10 a.m. will be marked late. Please help us with this by making sure that your student is on time and present each day. Please be on time daily. Every minute counts.
The PTA will be voting on the Executive Board for the 2022-2023 school year at their next meeting. The PTA is vital to many of the opportunities your children experience on a daily basis. We hope you will join us on Wednesday, May 18th.
PTA school store is opened Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:45 to 8:00 a.m.
The week will be the last week that students have to check out books for our library in the main building. The last day for the before school library program will be May 20th.
Thank you for partnering with us to ensure your child's success! We couldn't do it without you!
🌻PTA Sponsored Spring Family Day at P.S. 188Q on May 14th🌻
Incoming 1st Grade Parent Orientation Virtual Event📅
You are cordially invited to attend the Incoming 1st Grade Parent Orientation which will be held online, Wednesday, May 18th at 9:00 a.m. This is for parents only. Kindergarten children will visit the main building in June. Please click Incoming 1st Grade Orientation to get more information and to register.
The login information will be sent out the day before. Mrs. Perez-Fung will also send out a reminder on Wednesday, May 18th.
Look forward to seeing you all there.
🎞Watching TV and Movies Wisely Parent Workshop🎞
You are cordially invited to attend a virtual workshop on, "Watching Television/Movies Wisely." The workshop will take place on Tuesday, May 17th at 9:00 a.m.
This presentation will assist participants in understanding the various messages that television gives children and how to minimize the negative ones and maximize the positive ones.
The login information will be sent out the day before. Mrs. Perez-Fung will also send out a reminder on Tuesday, May 17th.
This workshop will be facilitated by Mrs. Corey Hollis, our school Social Worker. Please click Watching Television/ Movies Wisely and fill out the form to let us know if you will attending. Thank you.
Check out our Book of the Month that the students will be reading throughout the month.
Register to put your name in the lottery to attend this schoolwide event!
Community Health Fair Sponsored by Council Member Lee
🚩NYC Kids Rise Program Available to Kindergarten Families
Below is the PowerPoint that was presented on Tuesday's NYC Kids Rise meeting for Kindergarten parents. On many of the slides there are active links for families to click on and get more information. We do very much recommend attending one of the virtual workshops being offered by NYC Kids Rise to get additional information and to have your questions answered.
To access the links you will need to view the PowerPoint in slideshow mode. Once you open the PowerPoint, across the top you will see an option for “Slideshow.” In the ribbon click “From Beginning” to view the PowerPoint. Please let Mrs. Perez-Fung know if you have any question @ email@example.com.
As cases rise again across New York City, we will continue to provide every student with four COVID-19 home tests each week until further notice. Two tests are for use on your child and two are for a family member to use.
📌NYC Gifted and Talented Program
This process is for K-to-5 G&T programs, which serve children from kindergarten through grade 5.
G&T Admissions for Children Entering Kindergarten in Fall 2022
This varies a bit depending on where (and whether) a child currently attends pre-K.
- For current pre-K students at DOE/district schools, Pre-K Centers, NYC Early Education Centers (NYCEECs), or charter schools:
- In April and May, all children born in 2017 attending in these programs will be evaluated by their current pre-K teachers. There is nothing families need to do as part of this process.
- Based on these evaluations, teachers nominate children for G&T admissions.
- Then, eligibility letters will be sent to all families of nominated children, inviting them to apply to G&T programs when the application opens.
- Families of nominated (eligible) children can apply to G&T between May 31 and June 13 by submitting a G&T application online with MySchools or a Family Welcome Center.(Open external linkor through a Family Welcome Center.
How Kindergarten G&T Offers Are Made
- After all applications are submitted and eligibility is determined, all eligible applicants are considered for offers.
- Offers are determined based on families' application choices, seat availability, and admissions priorities. All G&T programs give an admissions priority to siblings of current students. Some programs also give a priority to applicants who live or attend school in a specific district.
- All applicants will receive a results letter in July 2022; these results may include a G&T offer and any information about waitlists.
Should I Accept My Child's Kindergarten Offer If I Hope to Get a G&T Offer Later?
Be sure to accept your child's kindergarten offer by May 6 even if you are hoping for a waitlist or G&T offer. Accepting this offer secures your child's seat at that school, and accepting it now will not affect your chances of getting a waitlist or G&T offer later.
G&T Admissions for Children Entering Grades 1, 2, or 3 in Fall 2022
- Interested families with children entering grades 1, 2, or 3 can apply this spring to enter G&T programs in fall 2022.
- Apply between May 31 and June 13 by submitting a G&T application online with MySchools(Open external link) or through a Family Welcome Center.
- Eligibility will be determined after families apply––more information on eligibility for children in these grades will be available soon.
How Grade 1-3 G&T Offers Are Made
- Offers for eligible applicants will be determined based on families' application choices, programs' seat availability, and admissions priorities. All G&T programs give priority to siblings of current students. Some programs also give priority to children who live or attend school in a specific district.
- All applicants will receive a results letter in July 2022. This letter may include a G&T offer and any information about waitlists.
Additional information: Please visit Gifted and Talented
💕Kids' Heart Challenge Jump Rope Culminating Event
May 10th Parent DEI Committee Meeting 9:30 a.m.
May 11th School Nurse’s Day
May 12th Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa at 10:00 a.m.
May 14th PTA Sponsored Spring Family Day 2:00 p.m.
May 17th Watching TV and Movies Wisely with Mrs. Hollis and Mrs. Perez-Fung 9:30 a.m.
May 18th Incoming 1st grade Virtual Tour of Main Building 9:00 a.m.; PTA Meeting 7:00 p.m.
May 19th Books due to Library
May 20th Last day of Morning Library
May 23rd Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa 10:00 a.m.
May 26th Dancing Classrooms Family Event 5:00 p.m.
May 30th No School Memorial Day
June 1st 1st and 2nd Grade Field Day; SLT 6:30 p.m.
June 2nd PreK and Kindergarten Field Day; P.S. 188Q Art Show 5:30 p.m.
June 3rd Safety Meeting 7:30 a.m.
June 7th No School for students–Clerical Day
June 8th 3rd and 4th Grade Field Day; Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa 10:00 a.m.
June 9th Anniversary Day, Chancellor’s Conference Day for staff development, students do not attend
June 10th 5th Grade Picnic and Field Day at Alley Pond Park
June 13th Kindergarten Parent Virtual Orientation
June 14th PreK Parent Virtual Orientation; DEI Committee Meeting 9:30 a.m.
June 17th 5th Grade Graduation 9:30 a.m. in P.S. 188Q School Yard
June 19th Father's Day
June 20th No School in observance of Juneteeth
June 23rd Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa 10:00 a.m.
June 27th Last Day of School