So You Want To Be A President?
By Victoria Thompson, Katie Thostenson Hr 4
The Presidential Perks. Why You Should Want to be President.
As the President of the United States of America you will receive benefits if elected. You will receive a $400,000 a year salary, a $50K non-taxable expense account, Your medical and dental care will all be taken care of, $100,000 worth personal usage including entertainment and travel, housing in the White House. Enjoy your own personal movie theater and bowling alley with your family. Your own personal staff to cook, clean and garden for you. You will control Air Force One, Marine 1, and be given the Presidential Limousine. Need a vacation? Go to Camp David-Presidential retreat, Your own personal vacation home. Worried about safety? Don’t be, you will have 10 years of protection with the secret service to keep you and your family safe.
Qualifications. What Does It Really Take?
To be eligible to become president you must be 35 years old.
You have to be a resident in the U.S. for 14-years.
Must be a Native-born citizen. (You must be born in the US or your parent(s) must be /United States citizens)
Qualities. People can be Picky About Their President.
To be president there are certain qualities that people look for, they need to be able to trust that you have what it takes to be a good president. You must be able to understanding the public, what they need and want. You should have a strong ability to communicate; no one likes a quiet president. You should be open to new ideas, be flexible with the times. An ability to make compromises is needed, along with great political courage to take chances and make important decisions that shape our country and its image.
Your Constitutional Powers
Executive- Commander and chief
Executive- Commissioning officers for the armed forces
Diplomatic - Making treaties
Judicial - Granting pardons from federal offenses
Legislative- Convening in special sessions of congress
Judicial- Taking care of federal laws and executing them
Diplomatic- Receiving foreign ambassadors
Executive- Executive power
Executive- Appointing officials
Diplomatic- Appointing ambassadors, judges and other higher ranking officials.
- The most important part of the job will always be changing depending on the current events, however the most important is approving, or vetoing bills. The second is your executive power, you must decide when is the proper time to use this power.
Your Role As President. The 6 Titles you Receive as Commander 'n Chief
- 1) Chief of State. As a national leader you are responsible for ceremonies, and representing America, being a symbol.
- 2) Chief Executive. You must enforce laws, make important federal court decisions, and make treaties.
- 3) Commander in Chief. Generals and admirals alike will take orders from you, you are in charge of leading them and leading the armed forces.
- 4) Chief Diplomat. You will be in control of the United States foreign policy. Keep in mind that you represent the U.S.A. as a whole.
- 5) Chief Legislator. As the chief Legislator, you have great influence on the Congress and it’s law making decisions by signing or vetoing bills.
- 6) Economic Planner. You will have to deal with inflation, high prices, taxation, unemployment rates, and you have to make sure that you run the country as smoothly as possible.
- Bonus) Political Party Leader. As the leader of your party you get to choose the members of your cabinet and help members of you party get elected.
If I Where President
What is ISIS?
ISIS began as an Al Qaeda splinter group, also known by ISIL, or The Islamic State of Iraq. Their goal is to create an Islamic state throughout the entire world, implementing Sharia law.
ISIS is responsible for the attacks on Paris France, in November. They are using modern tools, like social media to reach out to the younger more impressionable people around the world, encouraging their twisted version of Islam, and recruiting others to join. Many from all over the world like the UK and other European countries, and in the US, specifically Minnesota have left and joined ISIS. They have executed US citizens publicly, and continue to lead mass executions and Crucifixions.