St. Louis Catholic High School
Thursday, October 24, 2019
Halo Highlight: 50 Years of Saints Football
At halftime of tonight's football game against South Beauregard, we will have a very special presentation honoring our 50th anniversary football team. We hope you'll join us at Cougar Stadium (kickoff is at 7 p.m.) for St. Louis Catholic's District 4-3A matchup and tribute to its rich traditions. Click here to read more about the anniversary team, which consists of 50 players and three legendary coaches, or pick up a copy of tonight's Gameday Program!
Announcements - Communication Policy
Should we need to contact our school community for weather events or other important information that you would need to know immediately, we will communicate with you in the following ways:
Communion of Saints - Coming Next Week, Including Dress as Your Favorite Saint!
What better way to show support to our school mascot than celebrating all Saints in anticipation of All Saints Day Nov. 1! From a mini pep rally to a full-on "Dress up as your Favorite Saint Day," next week will be full of excitement. Here's the rundown:
Monday - mini pep rally
Tuesday - Block the Door canned food drive to benefit Catholic Charities. Wish list items are: canned green beans, canned corn, canned yams, canned cranberry sauce, boxed instant Idaho mashed potatoes, cake mix, canned icing and Jiffy corn bread.
Wednesday - Adoration throughout the entire day - Please sign up here.
Thursday - Dress as your favorite Saint. Students must adhere to the following rules:
- Absolutely nothing sacrilegious
- No Saints football jerseys
- You must print out the saint info/bio or picture to accompany your outfit and be able to defend it.
- Shorts must have leggings with them.
- Closed toe shoes required.
- **If in doubt, don't wear it! Any student not following the rules will receive a referral and be required to change before entering class.**
Friday - Mass, Food and Fellowship
Our book study found here will conclude next week as well. This journey has been so fruitful in helping students and faculty alike discover unique gifts and talents while understanding that as a community, we are called to service. We will use these lessons throughout the year in finding ways to create Holy Moments!
And a huge thanks to Parent Guild for supporting Adoration on campus Wednesday, as well as providing treats for Thursday's Food and Fellowship. We are always striving to share our faith in authentic ways!
Apostolic Hour Opportunities
- 25th Anniversary Program – “Do This In Memory of Me” – 6-8 SLCHS students needed to help serve dinner.
- ACTS OLQH/OLGC Garage Sale – student volunteers needed Nov. 7 and Nov. 8 (8am-7pm) to accept donations, as well as the day of the garage sale Nov. 9 (8am-2pm) to organize, carry, set up and break down.
- WHERE: OLQH Family Life Center
- CONTACT: Carol Camara at 356-7022 or email@example.com
- Calcasieu Parish Public Defenders’ Office 2nd Annual John F. Lavern CLE (continuing legal education) – Nov. 7-8. SLCHS student volunteers needed to assist us with setting up tables and chairs at Central School (on Pujo Street) the night before the event.
- DETAILS: Students would meet us at the Central School Nov. 6 after school to help with set up.
- CONTACT: Elizabeth Traub ’00 at 504-881-6092 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Grandparents Day Volunteers Needed
Important details for grandparents:
If grandparents are meeting a student whose last name begins with A-J, please park in the East parking lot on Bank Street.
If grandparents are meeting a student whose last name begins with K-Z, please park in the North parking lot on 7th Street.
NOTE - We apologize, but golf carts will not be available to transport grandparents from the parking lots. Grandparents needing extra assistance can arrive at the Bank Street entrance.
Students with last names A-J will meet their grandparents in the main building (Commons & Cafeteria) at 12:30 and enjoy coffee & gourmet desserts first.
Students with last names K-Z will meet their grandparents in the Gym at 12:30 to take pictures first and walk their grandparents around school.
NOTE - Pictures cost $5. Proceeds benefit our Parent Guild!
Academics & Counseling
Mental Health Symposium Day Nov. 2
This symposium is sponsored with funding from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and is FREE to participants. Multiple sessions will be offered for adults who work in education and teens so they can become familiar with a variety of mental health topics that are pertinent to our local community.
College Scholarship Opportunities
And don't forget, we have a full list of college scholarship opportunities nationwide on the Counseling page of our website.
Tech Talk with Melanie LeJeune
Tech Tips for Students - PowerPoint Presenter Coach
Present like a BOSS with PowerPoint Presenter Coach! Help Desk Student Juliana quickly shows you how to use this new tool to help you practice presenting.
For Parents - Our Saints Are Reading!
- Our students are reading! Thanks to efforts by the English Department through "Drop everything and read" time and allowing students some choice in their book selections, our students are re-discovering the joy of reading. Check out these facts:
- During the 1st Q of 2018-19, we checked out 317 fiction books and 408 materials total.
- But this year during Q1, we have doubled the amount - checking out 602 fiction books and 773 materials total!
- The more you know…Deepfake Videos
Landry Library is on Instagram!
St. Louis Catholic High School's Landry Library has an Instagram account! Follow @slchs_library for library events, new book announcements and tech tips. And make sure you're following all our social media accounts so you're always in the know!
FACEBOOK - St. Louis Catholic High School
@slchs_saints - Official SLCHS school account
@slchs_library - Landry Library
@slchs_fbla - SLCHS FBLA
@slchsswimming - St. Louis Catholic Swimming
@slchstrack - Saints Track & Field
@slcbaseball - St. Louis Catholic Baseball
@slchscheerleaders - St. Louis Catholic Cheerleading
"Be Our Guest" at Open House Nov. 20!
St. Louis Catholic Open House will have a brand new look this year, and we hope you'll "Be Our Guest" on Wednesday, Nov. 20! Doors open at 5 p.m., and the program will begin promptly at 5:30. (Please enter in the Gym).
Don't forget - Online Priority Application for next school year will open Nov. 21 and remain open until Dec. 6. All applications submitted during our priority period will go into a drawing to have their $500 registration fee waived!
Friday, October 25
Spanish Club Meeting at lunch (Room #32)
Saturday, October 26
Saints Cross Country at NSU Pre-State Meet
Monday, October 28
Freshman & JV Football vs. Westlake (SLCHS Field)
Soccer New Parent Meeting, 5:30 p.m. (Athletic Complex classroom)
Tuesday, October 29
Lady Saints Volleyball at Westlake
Saints Basketball Scrimmage vs. Northside & DeRidder, 4:00 p.m. (Krajicek Gym)
Wednesday, October 30
Academic Study Hall, 5:00-6:30 p.m. (Cafeteria)
Saints Cross Country at District Meet in Iowa
Saints Fund Leadership Committee Meeting, 6:00 p.m. (Library)
Thursday, October 31
Lady Saints Volleyball at ESA Tournament (Cade, La)