VCR Lesson 5
By: Ritvik Bodducherla
Fill In the Blank
The truck full of candy _____________ the day of the bored children.
1.) A substance like yeast or a small amount of fermented dough that causes dough to expand or rise.
2.) A lightening or enlivening influence
- The Egyptians were the first to discover how to bake leavened bread with yeast.
- Comedians bring a leaven to our lives that we cannot find anywhere else.
- Levis (Latin): Light in Weight
- Levare (Latin): To Lift
- Bring down/ Push down
- Leaven can also be used as a transitive verb, as seen in the first sample sentence. To leaven something would mean to bake with yeast like a cake. It can also mean to provide a lightening influence, as seen in the fill in the blank.
- A helpful way to think of the second definition of leaven is to redefine it as a positive influence, transformation, or change.
Circle the letter of the sentence in which the word in bold-faced type is used incorrectly.
a) The bread in my kitchen has leaven.
b) I leavened my cake with yeast.
c) I used a leaven to make the class happy.
d) I leavened my way out of the hilarious situation.