A Weekly eNewsletter from Hastings Public Schools
Message from the Superintendent
Good afternoon Raider Families,
Lots of great stuff is happening in our schools. Elementary is engaging with the Empower Me programming from the Jacob Wetterling Foundation, Middle School is bringing back the Tug-of-War challenge on Friday, Prom is next Saturday, and our employee recognition and retirement ceremony will be held this Wednesday. As we move through the last weeks of the school year, buildings will have specific information about their celebrations and activities and information on summer programming. Next year's calendars can be found on our website.
Please don't forget to schedule required immunizations and sports physicals. Students who will be entering preschool, kindergarten, seventh grade, and twelfth grade have requirements.
Finally, while we are not contract tracing, COVID cases have spiked in the last week. We are not planning to make learning model changes. If your students have symptoms, please keep them home and follow guidelines, so we can do our best to keep as many kids and staff healthy and in school as possible.
Bob McDowell, Ed.D.
Summer Food Service Program
As the school year ends and summer begins, families might wonder about students' meals. Hastings Public schools will continue to offer free breakfast and lunch to students during the summer months. However, the way the program is offered will look different from the previous years, with the waivers from the USDA expiring on our last day of school. So what does this mean for you and your student?
- Children 18 and under can eat breakfast and lunch at our Middle School location starting June 13th, 2022- August 26th, 2022 (meals will not be available on July 4th & 5th).
- Breakfast is offered 7:30 am - 8:30 am.
- Lunch is offered 10:45 am -12:00 pm.
- Meals must be eaten on-site.
- Parents/guardians may purchase a meal. Breakfast is $2.65, and lunch is $4.10.
- Second meals will be charged at adult pricing.
- All meals will follow the USDA meal pattern requirements.
April Rotary Student of the Month
Congratulations, Clay Karas! On behalf of the Hastings Rotary Club and Hastings High School, congratulations on being selected as the April 2022 recipient of the Hastings Rotary “Student of the Month” Award. The Hastings Rotary Club recognizes Hastings High School seniors who exemplify Rotary’s motto of ‘Service Above Self’, as a way to reward and foster these ideals and also build mutually rewarding relationships between school administration, staff, students, parents, and the Rotary members.
His nominators describe Clay as an "all-around great kid, who never thinks twice about helping someone out." Clay's diligence in ensuring success for himself and others is one of the attributes that the Hastings Rotary seeks in awarding students.
Clay was recognized at the Rotary Club meeting on Thursday, April 14th, 2022. Congratulations and well deserved, Clay!
Mental Health Awareness Month 2022
May is Mental Health Awareness Month. There are many ways to get involved and learn more about mental health. These #StayConnected resources were created for teachers, faith leaders, and all community members to use to show support and bring awareness to mental health. You can show support in many ways including at home and at your workplace. Here are some resources you can use to get involved as an ally:
· Learn how to talk about mental health and suicide in a safe way through the Safe Messaging around Mental Health and Suicide guide (Word).
· Connect with your community through social media using the Social Media Guide for Mental Health Awareness Month (Word)
· Gain helpful information on how to support a co-worker living with mental health issues using the guide Supporting a Co-worker Living with Mental Health Issues (Word)
· Use one of the messaging toolkits to spread the word:
You can find more resources to help bring awareness to mental health at the Minnesota Department of Health’s Mental Health Community Tools.
Camp Horizons/Big Shots Registration
Hastings Public Schools
- Tilden Community Center 651-480-7670
- Kennedy Elementary (K-4) 651-480-7221
- McAuliffe Elementary (K-4) 651-480-7390
- Pinecrest Elementary (K-4) 651-480-7280
- Hastings Middle School (5-8) 651-480-7060
- Hastings High School (9-12) 651-480-7470
- Hastings Alternative Learning Center 651-480-7690
*If you need any assistance in translating the Raider Update, contact us at email@example.com.