SCCS Home Bulletin
October 13, 2021
FROM DR. B.
Happy Wednesday, Trailblazers. I hope you’re having a great week!
We continue with our series of the ABCs of SCCS. As a review, we’ve covered A = alternate revenue/accessibility, B = biblical perspective/Bible curriculum/statement of faith, and C = chapel/connection groups.
For this week, we’ll focus on D = data.
There are many interesting data points we use to monitor progress, assess mission implementation, and decide next steps at SCCS. Here are a few:
- 117 years of operation
- 511 students (continuing the longest stretch of high enrollment in our school’s history)
- 99% student retention rate
- 62 students participated in Tales and Trails last summer (an increase of 20 students from the summer before)
- $18.6M given by God’s grace through our community of supporters over the past 8 years (beyond tuition)
- 97 students benefit from our inclusive education initiative, with 25 students at the tier 3 level
- 261 families choosing to partner with SCCS in the education of their children
- 27 churches represented
- $1,134,500 committed by churches to the Legacy Plan for 21-22
- $0 debt
- 92 employees (49 full-time and 43 part-time)
- 365 families participate in TRIP; last year, $115,372 was given back to SCCS tuition and $56,574 was sent to Christian schools nationwide
- $3,113,900 current Foundation balance, with $97,000 committed to SCCS to support the ongoing mission
Out of all of these numbers, here’s the most important: 1. We have 1 mission serving 1 God. Without that focus, that calling, and that perspective, the numbers mean nothing. Without our purpose and passion, the numbers don’t matter. We strive to remain laser focused on treasuring and training God’s kids so that they may be transformed by His Spirit. What a motivating, humbling, and awesome calling!
Our world needs courageous disciples who have been trained in the deep soil of God’s Word and in the wonder of His creation. Sioux Center Christian School is blessed to partner with parents and churches in the privilege of this training. We are excited to continue on the path of growth, obedience, and excellence as we envision the future of Sioux Center Christian School.
Thank you for your support and commitment!
KINDERGARTEN TO PUMPKIN PATCH
Our kindergarteners went to the Dordt Pumpkin patch to meet with Farmer Mike Schouten. He taught them how pumpkins grow and answered the question "Why did God give us pumpkins?" They were Creation Enjoyers as they tromped the muddy patch to find the perfect pumpkin and quickly realized how God created pumpkins to be different from one another just like how He created each of us.
They spent the rest of this week exploring pumpkins more by weighing and measuring them, turning them into volcanos, and even planting a pumpkin in the school garden. Hoping that next spring we will be able to find little sprouts!
We were so thankful the Rens family could come together in September and place a memorial plaque on our front brick sign! Memorial gifts given in honor of husband and father, Bill Rens, made this beautiful sign possible.
From 2013-2015, Bill served as construction advisor on our building expansion project. His expertise was incredibly beneficial! Bill went to be with the Lord in Nov 2019.
Bill and his wife, Joan, have been faithful SCCS supporters and all five of the Rens siblings (and several grandchildren) attended SCCS.
FYI: Daughter, Julie, served as architect on the expansion project, and daughter, Gwen, served SCCS as a teacher!
THANK YOU to the Rens family for this SCCS campus landmark!
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- Because of conferences being held earlier in the week, there will be no school on Friday, Oct. 29.
- Please note that because of a recent conflict at the the BJ Haan Auditorium at Dordt, the TK-4 program will now be held on Thursday, February 10 at 7:00 pm instead of December 16. Please make this change on your calendar!
- Just a reminder that Grandparent/Special Friend Day will be held in the spring (April 8) this year.
IMPACT OUR TREASURED STUDENTS
You can give a donation that impacts our students while also receiving 75% of your donation back!
How is this possible??
When you make a donation to NICSTO (Northwest Iowa Christian Schools Tuition Organization), you receive an IOWA TAX CREDIT certificate valued at 75% of your donation.
Sioux Center Christian receives 100% of your gift and grants it to students who qualify. Last year, 267 of our students were blessed to receive $224,807 in NICSTO tuition grants!
We are a third of the way to our goal of $316,242!
If we do not reach our goal, other Christian schools within NICSTO are allowed to finish up our goal and receive additional tuition grants for their school.
Learn more about this giving opportunity: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/support/nicsto.cfm
Forms are available by the TRIP window or at the link above.
GIFTS THAT REDUCE TAXES
Discover popular ways to support Kingdom-building ministry and reduce your taxes!
Barnabas Foundation is hosting a FREE, five-part online training series that will provide you with practical tips for giving in ways that increase your impact while reducing your costs and headaches. Each session is approximately 20-minutes long and recordings will be available; registration is required. Learn more: www.BarnabasFoundation.com/Interactive
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Carmen Mulder (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact school 24 hours in advance.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS NEEDED
We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please contact Carmen Mulder (email@example.com) if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
- The Office Handouts http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for:
Chess Club at Sioux Center Public Library - Grades 2 and up
Unity Boys B-ball Camp - Grades 3-5
Unity Boys B-ball Camp - Grades 6-8
Unity Junior Knights Girls B-ball - Grades 5-8
Unity Junior Knights Boys B-ball - Grades 3-8
Western Junior Wolfpack Boys B-ball - Grades 5-8
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED