William Tecumseh Sherman
"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."
Total War, William T. Sherman, & Atlanta
"Grant stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when was drunk, and now we stand by each other."
- Sherman played a role in triggering the California Gold Rush.
- He cut off all lines of communication during the march to the sea.
- He offered lenient terms to surrender to defeated Confederates.
- He repeatedly declined to run for president.
- He loved the south, especially South Carolina