in Food & Nutrition Services
VOLUME 6, ISSUE 9, APRIL 2019 NEWSLETTER
Clay County Celebrates National School Breakfast Week! "
CONGRATULATIONS TO MARTY DOWLING! BEST WISHES ON YOUR RETIREMENT!
Farewell to Marty as we wish him a wonderful, well earned retirement!
Marty started as a Cafeteria Assistant with the district in 2009 at Swimming Pen Creek Elementary. He was just the recipient of his 10 year pen! Marty says that he enjoyed watching and being part of the evolution of Orange Park Elementary's new kitchen! He says he will miss getting together with all of the Managers and Manager Interns during meetings and in-service days. During retirement Marty plans to spend time with and help care for his 94 year old mother and work on remodeling projects around the house. He also wants to dust off his guitar and start playing more. Once his wife retires, he looks forward to traveling and camping to the Grand Canyon! Best wishes and thank you for your service Marty!
Congratulations to Jennifer Szala, New Manager at Orange Park Elementary!
Congratulations to Angela Birkholz, New Manager Intern
Angela comes to us from Lakeside Elementary where she has worked since 2012. Her kids attended LES and so volunteering around the school turned into a full time job in the cafeteria. She is well versed, rotating throughout all positions in the kitchen. Before entering the Food and Nutrition Services department she was in the US Navy for 6 years where she served as an electronic technician. In her free time she is active in her church with her 2 boys as well as spending time with them in their ROTC program at OPH, reading, and watching movies. As a new Manager Intern, Angela says she looks forward to seeing all the schools and learning new things.
Congratulations to Barbara Herko, New Manager Intern
Barbara is a well seasoned FNS administrator. She was the Cafeteria Manager at Lakeside Junior High for 14 years. She looks forward to working with us again. Before becoming a Manager at LSJ she was a Manager Intern and previously worked as an assistant at RHS. Barbara enjoys reading and playing with her 7 grandsons. She says she looks forward to seeing how other schools within our county operate. Congratulations Barbara!
April District Wide Milk Mustache Photo Contest to Promote Dairy!
April Recipe of the Month
Healthy Banana Muffins
This is an easy healthy banana muffin recipe with applesauce, whole wheat or spelt flour and low / all natural sugar.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 large egg
- 3 large (1 1/2 cups) very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 3 tbsp olive, avocado or coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk the egg. Add bananas and mash well. Add applesauce, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, baking powder and soda and salt; whisk to combine.
- Add flour and gently stir until well incorporated. Do not over mix otherwise muffins will be tough.
- Fill each opening almost full with batter and bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 4.4g
Total Carbohydrate 23.2g
Vitamin A 1%Vitamin C 5%
April Safety Tip
- APRIL: Dairy Promotion Month-Milk Mustache Photo Contest, District Wide
- APRIL 12th: Fair Day-No School. Manager/Manager Intern Meeting.
- APRIL 19th: Good Friday-No School.
- APRIL 30th: Elementary Early Dismissal
- MAY 27th: Memorial Day
- JUNE 3rd-4th: Secondary Early Dismissal Days
- JUNE 5th: District Wide Early Dismissal. Last Day of School