5th Grade Computer Applications
2017 - 2018
Welcome to CMS!
We are excited about the start of the school year and are looking forward to meeting your child. Because the teachers your child will have this school year integrate technology in the classroom, our goal is to ensure that your child is comfortable using technology as a tool and that he or she continues to become a better consumer of information that is available on the Internet.
In this trimester-long computer applications class, students will learn to:
- Demonstrate correct posture and hand position in keyboarding
- Apply keyboarding skills to word processing documents in Microsoft Word and Google Docs
- Use the Internet safely, responsibly, and effectively
- Conduct better Internet searches through keyword searches
- Identify and gather appropriate information through these developed search techniques
- Visual coding
- Build skills in Microsoft PowerPoint and Google Slides by creating a presentation utilizing provided multimedia guidelines
Supplies needed for class
- A two-pocket folder
- SSR book
Additional Lab Times Available
- Keyboarding lessons
- Projects, presentations, activities, and quizzes
Encouraging Your Child
- Sit straight and tall. Keep eyes on the copy/monitor. Sit with body within a handspan of the keyboard.
- Hips should touch the back of the chair. Feet should rest flat on the floor.
- Demonstrate correct hand position over the home row. Curve fingers.
- Keep palms/wrists off the desk and keyboard.
- Maintain a steady rhythm.
Keyboarding sites to explore at home: