September 19, 2016
After a very busy week, I hope you enjoyed your weekend and found some time to get a little rest. I know I enjoyed some time hanging out with my family and relaxing on the couch watching a little football.
Parent-Teacher Conferences went very well. We had an amazing turnout and the parents that I spoke to were very complimentary. Thank you so much for reaching out to parents and for working to develop relationships with them and their children. The partnership between home and school is very important, and it is obvious that you working to make it a good one. I am confident that our students will continue to make great gains!
As we progress through the quarter, please continue with your interventions and continue to communicate with parents. I appreciate all that you do for our students!
Have a wonderful week!
FIVE QUICK FACTS
Aaron Manfull--Journalism Teacher
1. My mother taught high school journalism for nearly 30 years. I was a part of her program in high school and one year had her as a teacher four times a day.
2. My sister taught high school journalism in Houston and is a former professional sports reporter. My brother-in-law is currently a sports columnist for the Post-Dispatch (Jesus Ortiz).
3. My dad reads the newspaper and watches the news.
4. My wife Kate and my kids, Kane (6y) and Michaela (9y), are my three favorite things on the planet.
5. I have a major problem with having too many tabs open at once in my web browser.
Next Person Up: Scott Weber
- Congratulations to Chirstopher St. Aubin who was recognized at the board meeting for being an AP Distinguished Scholar.
- Congratulations to James Dohrman on being recognized at the board meeting for completing the STARS program. As a result, James receive an offer of a full scholarship from UMSL and a research stipend of $1,800.
If anyone attended a 21st Century Fest session that used the Total Participation Techniques book, I have a copy available in my office for you. If you didn't attend a session using this book and you are interested in some new strategies, please come by and get a copy!
Knights @ 90: FHN currently has 91.36% of students attending 90% of the time.
Discussion Items-Planning and coordination for this week's Fun Friday in the Commons.
Our first quarter Climate Survey will be out today. Watch your email for a link from survey monkey. The survey is only 10 questions, so please take a few minutes to take it. The survey will close on Monday, 9/26. 80% participation will earn us a jean day the day after our next PTC night. Thanks to Climate Committee, PLOT, and Melissa Trochim for their help in crafting our building climate questions.
The Behavior Leadership Team is meeting on 9/20 at 6:45 am in the main office conference room. Please consider joining us; there will be food provided!
Thank you for continuing to enforce tardies. This truly is making a difference in the hallways. It is awesome to see kids hurrying to class. Currently, about 4% of our kids have had 3 or more tardies. Thank you for your help with this. Let's keep up the good work.
Mr. Riffee's next Flipped Classroom session will be at 2:30 on 9/20 in the Learning Commons.
Was there a topic you wanted to learn more about after attending 21c fest? The tech committee would like your feedback for planning upcoming Lunch and Learn topics. Please click on the link below to complete the short survey.
HOMECOMING INFORMATION FOR 9/26-10/1
A Cosmic Knight
Spirit Week: (Sept 26-30)
Monday, Sept. 26: Black Hole Day (all black clothing)
Tuesday, Sept. 27: Cowboys vs Aliens
Wednesday, Sept. 28: Black and Gold Day/Toga Day for Seniors
Thursday, Sept. 29: Sports Day or Powder Puff Day
Friday, Sept. 30: Class Colors Day (Teachers typically wear jeans and black and gold again). Some awesome teachers (Frau McPartland!) wear all the class colors.
Assembly Schedule for Friday, Sept. 30:
1st hour: 7:20-7:50
2nd hour: 7:55-8:25
3rd hour: 9:35-10:07
4th-7th: Regular Schedule
Things go way more smoothly if teachers sit in the stands with the students, so we appreciate your help with that.
Powderpuff Football Game:
The game starts at 6:30 and ends at 8:30.
The tailgate starts at 5 before the Homecoming football game. Student Council plans for it to last until 6:30. It is totally free, including food and drinks. There will be inflatables and games for adults and kids to play. We will also have music playing. Feel free to come and bring your families.
The game starts at 7:00. We hope to see you there!
The dance will start at 7:00 and end at 10:00.
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. listening to the concerns of others and by helping to problem solve those issues.
3. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
4. being open-minded to new ideas.
5. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
6. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
7. counting tardies consistently.
--Chris Birch and Katie Greer
"Thank you to those staff members who braved the rain to cheer on our Knights on Friday. I know the players appreciated your support and all you do for them every day. "
"Shout out to the amazing FHSD Facilities Team for their work in fixing the lights that were struck by lightening on Friday. They are rock stars."