The Central Scoop
June 15, 2018
From the Principal's Desk...
Our end-of-the-year activities were a huge success this week. The 4th Grade Farewell celebration last night was the highlight. The slideshow brought both tears and laughter to the audience. We all enjoyed guessing which baby picture matched which fourth grader. The night ended with the students enjoying a fun party while the adults enjoyed sharing memories. We are all so proud of our 4th graders' successes and we know that they will continue to shine at Highcrest Middle School. Also, thank you to all of our fourth grade parents. We would not be the school we are without your willingness to support and volunteer for so many years. We wish YOU the best of luck, as you become parents of middle school students.
On Wednesday, our kindergarteners performed beautifully outside for parents as part of their end-of-the-year celebration. They sang three songs that brought tears to all of our eyes. I'm proud to say they are all more then ready for first grade!
Finally, out school assembly today allowed us to celebrate the last day of school altogether. We sang songs, read poems, and celebrated students who earned First Class Tickets. Our Glee Club sang a few songs that celebrated students and staff who are leaving Central School. During the assembly, we also praised students who participated in a variety of school activities throughout the year including: mileage club, reading rally, glee club, green team, student council, and more. We are proud of everyone's accomplishments.
On behalf of everyone at Central, I want to thank you for sharing your children with us this year. We hope you have a safe, fun and memorable summer. We look forward to seeing everyone this fall!
With much gratitude and appreciation,
Central Elementary School
Fourth Grade Farewell
Mr. Kevan Truman's Retirement
We will miss Mr. Truman dearly as he ventures into retirement. Kevan has spent all of his 24 years in the district at Central School. He spent 23 of those years teaching third grade. He taught second grade for one year after his Golden Apple sabbatical. His love of social studies resulted in 1818 Statehood Celebrations, unique field trips for the virtual museum, and his weekly Truman's Travels. But what we will remember most is how he established third grade traditions for students over the years such as reading poems from his pocket with his students during school assemblies, and officiating the third grade spelling bee. During his time at Central School, Kevan also helped maintain third grade traditions such as Illustrated Theater and dressing up for Halloween. Kevan has always established deep connections with his students and their families. We wish him well on his upcoming adventures and hope that his future "Truman's Travels" will be fulfilling and exciting.
Upcoming School Board Meeting
The monthly Board of Education meeting is Monday, June 18th at 7:00 PM at the MEC. Below are a couple of topics that may be of interest. If you can’t make the meeting, you can view it live or later, either on the District website or on Channel 6. Highlights of the meeting will be emailed and posted online within a day or two.
- Kindergarten Enrichment
- Review of 2017-18 Strategic Plan
- Community Review Committee Report
- 2018-2019 fees related to HMS/WJHS after school programming and WJHS Jazz Ensemble
PTA Announcements and Reminders...
* The PTA sends out their own newsletter on Sundays - here are just a few highlights
Save The Dates!
Friday, August 31, 2018 - Sign up for Skyline Studios production of Mary Poppins
Calling all 3rd and 4th Grade thespians! On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 9:00am the Signup
Genius is going live for Skyline Studios production of Mary Poppins! Classes will start on
Thursday, September 6th. This weekly class will be held after school at Central in the
auditorium with a full performance on the last day. It’ll be Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious!
Friday, September 21, 2018 - Parent/Teacher Party
Mark your calendar for the party of the 2018/2019 school year! Central School’s Parent/
Teacher Party is happening on Friday, September 21, 2018. This is a school wide adult event and is sure to be a blast! More details to follow in August!
From the Nurse's Office
Call Central School "Safe Phone" For Absences: 847-512-6150
Please call the "SAFE" (absence) phone to report absences even if you let the classroom teacher know, because some teachers don't see the email/voicemail until later in the day. Teachers assume you are calling the office. It's important that the school nurse is directly aware of any absences otherwise, your son/daughter may be considered "missing." The school nurse keeps track of all school absences in the building. For safety reasons, we want to make sure all of our students are accounted for and safe.
New Central Health Office Website!!
Here is your go-to site for all of your health related questions including PE/Recess Notes, Health Requirements, Dental Examinations, Allergy and Asthma, Medications, Snacks in Classrooms, Lice, Influenza...and more!
- Valley Lodge in Wilmette hosts New Trier Township Food Pantry fundraiser on June 14th 11:00 am - 11:00 pm. Show the flyer or write “New Trier Township” on your receipt to donate 15% of your sale.
- Wimette Food Pantry located at Trinity United Methodist Church provides groceries and seasonal produce. Open Tuesdays 10:30-11:30 am.
- Wilmette Historical Museum hosts Potawatomi “Dancing for My Tribe” Scavenger Hunt for families with children ages 13 and under June 18-August 5.
- Wilmette Baseball Association Summer House League registration is open (K-8) and also Buddy Baseball Summer registration is open (co-ed league for ages 7-19 with physical/developmental disabilities).
- Oakton Community College offers STEAM related summer programs to children ages 8-12.
- The Center for the Gifted offers summer enrichment classes. Students need not be tested or identified as gifted, just eager to learn!
- Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team
- Additional information on community events can be found here http://www.wilmette39.org/news/community_events
Family Action Network (FAN)
Click HERE for information about FAN and upcoming speakers.
Join us on Twitter!
Central School is on Twitter!
- We have TWO Twitter accounts. Please "follow" us at Twitter.com! Explore Central 39 (with our actual "handle" as @explorecentral). With this account, we mostly share student activities that are completed in the Learning Commons (but other activities are often included as well). We are also providing this Twitter feed on our Central School homepage.
- There is also a principal page @BeckyLittmann where you can follow a variety of school happenings including all-school events, classroom activities, PTA enrichment, and school goals.