Keeping our parents in the know
This week at the Creek
- The schoolwide expectation is that all students PASS 2 math IREADY and reading IREADY lessons successfully. THIS IS A GRADE.
- Football game this week will be held at Richlands HS on 10/4 at 6:00. This is a change! The cost to enter into the game is $5.00 cash. All students Kindergarten age and up will be charged $5.00 entry.
- Softball game at DMS will be on Monday. 10/4 they will play at Kerr Street Rec Center at 4:00.
- Now is the time to ensure that your student is being successful. Check powerschool and set up a conference if needed. Don't wait!
- Keep in mind that absence notes must be sent in within 5 days of the recorded absence. All notes should be turned in to the front office.
- Dress code continues to be a challenge for some students. Please keep in mind no PAJAMA PANTS and no SPANDEX SHORTS. Another reminder is that all shirts should not show the midriff. Students who violate the dress code are sent to call home and then to ISS until the outfit meets the dress code requirements.
- As a reminder no phones (or earbuds) should be out in the building from 7:15-until they leave the building. 1st offense - item taken to the office. Student may pick up afterschool. 2nd offense - Parent must pick up.
Congratulations to the September Students of the Month!
Support HCMS Attractions Book Fundraiser
No Pajama Pants and No spandex shorts
Student Dress Code Expectations
Please note that Pajama pants and spandex are not appropriate according to the dress code.
- Headgear including caps, hoods, sweatbands, sunglasses, dew rags, and bandanas should not be worn.
- Garments that are sheer are not permitted.
- Bedroom slippers are not permitted.
- Pajamas or other sleepwear are not permitted.
- Clothing exposing the midriff, open-back shirts, and/or cleavage is not acceptable. Shirts must have sleeves that extend over the shoulder. This includes tank tops with large openings for the arms.
- Pants should be worn at the natural waistline; "sagging" is not permitted. No chains attached to clothing.
- Spandex shorts are not permitted.
- Gang writing, lettering, symbols, offensive, obscene, or vulgar words are not to be shown or written on clothing, body, jewelry, bookbags, etc. In addition, garments with suggestive language and/or advertising displaying alcoholic beverages, tobacco, or any illegal substances are not allowed. This includes the displaying of colors via bandanas, sweatbands, etc.
Cell Phone Policy
The Onslow County school board policy 4318 recognizes that cellular telephones and other wireless communication devices have become an important tool for communication. Therefore, students are permitted to possess such devices on school property so long as the devices are not activated, used, displayed, or visible during the instructional day or as otherwise directed by school rules or school personnel. This includes but is not limited to, cellular phones, smart watches, electronic devices with internet capability, and other similar devices.
HCMS prohibits the use of cell phones or other electronic devices by students during school hours. Students are assigned a 1:1 device that they will use.
Personal Technology cannot be turned on, used, or seen during school hours.
Traffic pattern for student drop off/pick up
VERY IMPORTANT- Buses use the front circle and the teacher parking lot. Do not pull into either of these areas between 7-7:35 or 2:10-2:50. Also, student safety is important to us and it is not ok to drop students on the street of Hunters Trail. There are a lot of cars moving about the road and this has caused major traffic concerns. Student drop-off will begin at 7:15 with the tardy bell at 7:30.
Students will need to remain in the vehicle with a parent. We are requesting that students be seated on the right side (passenger side) of the car. Keep in mind that students must go directly into the building and to the classroom. Breakfast will be available in the cafeteria. Students wanting breakfast should go directly to the cafeteria.
**Parents will not be able to park and come in during 7:00-7:30 or 2:15-2:50. This change is necessary due to the traffic pattern.
Students are tardy to school after 7:30 am. Please drop off tardy students in the back of the school until 7:35 am to allow for any delayed buses in the front circle. Students will have to check in as tardy. Remember that students who are tardy more than 5 times will have the school social worker involved with solving the late-to-school problem.
Student pick up
Students being picked up will be released beginning at 2:40. We will not be able to release all students at one time so please be patient. Teachers will scan your card to alert the student that you are on campus for pick up. Remind your students to report directly to your car to help speed the process along.
NEW THIS YEAR: Parents will not be able to park for pick up until 2:10 for HCM. This is county-wide to assist with the safety of our schools. The time is 30 minutes prior to dismissal.
Buses, fees, and cafeteria information
Bus informationDownload the EDULOG APP for up-to-date bus information.
Buses will drop off and pick up in two locations: the front circle drive (old parent drop off and pick up spot) and the staff parking lot. Buses will drop off at 7:15 am. Bus pick-up will begin at 2:40 with an announcement of the buses that will be released. Students will report directly to their bus at the assigned lot. It is important to look up and inform your students of the bus they are expected to ride to and from school.
Again this year fees may be paid online. Parents will need to make an account in order to pay school fees. Parents will be able to pay all school fees. The lunch pay system is a different system. The fee-paying system is live. PAY NOW!
To be considered for a fee waiver approval, a completed fee waiver application (these are located in the front office of the school) along with a copy of the free/reduced lunch letter from child nutrition should be submitted. These 2 documents may be turned in to the front office. The deadline for submitting for a fee waiver is within the first 30 days of enrollment. Students who begin the first day must have the fee waiver completed by October 3rd.
Parents will need to complete a meal application this year. This must be completed by the beginning of September in order to maintain your free/reduced status. The best way to complete the application is by using the online version following the link referenced below. There are also paper copies of the application available in the front office. Breakfast will be available as students enter the building.
HCMS Student Recognition Program
Throughout the year, we celebrate our student's academic accomplishments by holding a Panther Paw Raffle. We are seeking assistance with helping to stock our Panther Paw raffle items. Ways that you or your business can help:
1. Purchase items from our Student Recognition Amazon List
2. Purchase Gift Card(s) for student drawings (Walmart, Target, Five Below, AMC Cinemas, Amazon, local restaurants, Roller City, Altitude, etc.)
3. Make a monetary donation.
Amazon items will be delivered to the school. Please bring other items to the school. Please bring any other items to the school and drop off in the front office. If you have any questions, please contact Lawanda Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for supporting the students and staff at HCMS.
Remember to ensure eligibility, proper paperwork is on file, a current physical is on file, and a required parent meeting has been completed for the 23-24 school year.
A required parent athletic meeting must be done each year. We did our first one for the 23-24 school year in May 2023, if you attended this meeting you will not have to attend another meeting this year. If you have a question on whether you need to attend please contact email@example.com.
Parents who have not watched the parent meeting must contact the front office to schedule a time.
Important Dates to Know
10/2 SB @ DMS
10/4 FB @ TMS (RHS) 6:00
10/4 SB @ NBM (Kerr Street Rec Center)
10/10 Interim Progress Reports
10/11 FB vs SWM
10/17 FB vs BMS
10/17 FB and Cheer team pictures
10/24 FB @ DMS
10/31 End of Grading Period
10/31 FB @ NBM
11/2 Make up pictures
Facebook: Hunters Creek Middle School
Also, a weekly SMORE newsletter is sent out using the email addresses on file. There is not a weekly phone call. Phone calls are only done as a reminder of important announcements, to inform of a change or an event that affects all families. Be sure that your information on file is correct and up to date to stay informed.