Dec. 4th, 2017 Pony News
On the Side of Hope!
Let's Finish our Semester Strong!
Some of our students are beginning to worry about the winter break. Are they going to have enough food? Who is going to take care of them? Are they going to receive presents?
Let's keep them engaged in a positive and safe environment. Think about it as a Piggy Bank. Their environment might take some of the money from their piggy bank, so we have to make extra deposits. Provide students with extra positive reinforcements, such as extra Pony bucks, prizes for their efforts, extra dojo points, and hoof prints.
As you are planning and delivering your lessons, remember the importance of planning based on the standards, using the LISD curriculum and creating differentiated, engaging and relevant experiences for your students.
Let's continue to be on "On the Side of Hope."
Teacher of the year!
Dear LVES Family,
It is time for our us to select our teacher of the year! In order to be nominated for teacher of the year, a candidate must teach students at least four hours per day. Please consider the following criteria when choosing your nominee. The person:
- is an expert in their field who guides students of all backgrounds and abilities to achieve excellence
- collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of respect and success
- deliberately connects the classroom and key stakeholders to foster a strong community at large
- demonstrates leadership and innovation in and outside of the classroom walls that embodies lifelong learning
- expresses themselves in an engaging and professional way
The survey will close at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, December December 8th. Each staff member will have the ability to vote one time.
Please click HERE to cast your vote.
The top 5 nominations will be on the ballot for a final vote for the Lewisville Elementary Teacher of the Year. The vote for the 5 nominees will open December 8th at 3:30 PM and close on Monday December 11th at 4:00 PM. The winner will be announced on Tuesday December 12th
LISD Teachers of the Year will be announced at the District Employee Banquet on Friday, April 27th, at the Hyatt Regency DFW.
RALLY FOR THIS WEEK
- Notice that we will be introducing a new song! https://youtu.be/c6rP-YP4c5I
- This song talks about not giving up. Please take some time to tell the students the importance of perseverance and resilience.
- We will also be introducing new jobs for the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students to help with the Rally.
Thank you to Mrs. Zamora, Mr. Colon and Mr. Thomas for spending time creating the format and finding the songs.
A Minute with the LASes...
Holidays Celebrations and the Five Essential Elements of Cultural Competence
Last week we introduced the first of the Five Essential Elements of Cultural Competence, Assessing our cultural knowledge. Here is the complete chart. According to the authors of the book Culturally proficient Coaching, "the Five Essential Elements of Cultural Competence serve as the standards by which we measure our personal values and behaviors...Once a person embraces the standards for his own behavior and values, he is prepared to work with the policies and practices of organizations".
In this holiday season, when the multiculturalism is made more obvious, picture your students and colleagues and use this chart as a self-reflection and goal setting tool.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROCEDURES LETTER
HOLIDAY PARTIES IN YOUR CLASSROOMS
- Classroom parties will be held on our early release day Thursday, December 21st.
- Campus Design Team leaders - Please share any celebration details and times in this FORM so that office staff will have the information to share when parents call with questions. This will also provide other staff members the opportunity to drop by classrooms to share in your celebrations.
- Please refer to the Early Release SCHEDULE for specials and lunch times.
JUST FOR FUN!
- Beginning on Tuesday, Lakshmi the Elf will be hiding throughout the building. Please read the poem below to know what to do when you find her!
- On Friday, the staff will be playing "Human Scrabble"! The directions for the game are below.
Email reminders will go out this week!
Technology Action Required
There are teachers and staff who have not done the UIVP process on their Technology Assigned computers and iPad’s. This is extremely important to have done as it allows us to inventory your devices. This needs to be done ASAP.
There is a button that looks like the picture above in the bottom, right hand corner of your Technology Assigned computer and iPad. Please click on the picture above, login using your computer login, press submit, and you are done.
If you have a Technology Assigned iPad, it will be the same process but the same picture will be an app on your home screen.
Monday, December 4th
- College Ready Rally
- 3rd Gr. Class Univ. Chants
- LA K-2 LF
- Science ACT
- College/U Shirt Day
- 5th Gr. Teachers - Science Academy
Tuesday, December 5th
- PLC sessions in Data Hub
- Campus Design and Instructional Design Team mtg. at 3:30 - Lindsey Ferguson will be our guest to present a review on Math Curriculum and Resources.
- Tech ACT
Wednesday, December 6th
- Science CBA 5th grade
- All Level Team Meetings
- Sci & LA ACT
- Dress for Success Day
- New Teacher Mtg. 3:10-3:30
Thursday, December 7th
- Technology Audit
- Inst. Tech ACT
- 4th Gr. Teachers - Writing Academy
Friday, December 8th
- ML Coord.
- LVES Spirit Day
The Holiday Party
The Holiday Party is here!! Time to celebrate with cheer!!
SIGN UP in the WORKROOM.
Prizes! Giveaways! Gift Cards! Awesome Food! Raffle Baskets! Games! Good Company!
December 18th, 2017
The Next Steps Center
Valley Creek Church, Lewisville
Raffle Baskets will be out and ready for your tickets in the lounge starting December 11th! Extra tickets are available for 2/$1.00 from Mrs. Rubio!
Can’t wait to see you there and celebrate with you!
Ms. Valdes will be offering jeans passes with a holiday shirt
for the week of the 11th for those that sign up and participate!
Staff Shout Outs
All the teachers who volunteered to make our Literacy Night a very special one. You guys ROCK!!
Thank you instructional coaches for preparing for a wonderful literacy night.
Coach W for giving high 5's, fist bumps, and hugs to students during car duty!
Mrs. Oden for your support with incidents that occurred last week!
Mr. Dixson, thank you for being a willing to assist!
Mr. Reed, your kindness and tone towards our students is always inspiring!
Mrs. Burleson, thank you for going the extra mile to secure our student.
Ms. Lawson, I appreciate you for lunch and your kindness!
To the front office staff, thank you for keeping it professional regardless of who the customer is!
CPI TEAM!!! YOU ROCK!!!!
Nurse Myers, thank you for being very flexible and willing to "travel" this past week.
Ms. Miller, thank you for supporting your team member!
Mrs. Valdes, thank you for having HOPE!
If your were in RTI this past week, thank you for being prepared, proactive, and seeing the potential in your students! (Together we CAN!!!)
Thank you Ms. Wooster, for showing up an supporting!
Thank you Ms. Ramos for ALWAYS keeping a smile on your face!
Thank you Mr. Colon and Mr. Anderson for supporting students who are not in your grade level!
Thank you Coach W. for the time you spend with some of our 1st grade boys!
Thank you Mrs. Rowland and Mrs. Maurier for supporting with RTI this week!
Thank you Specials teachers for always being willing to brainstorm with me and for a fun field day!
Thank you Ms. Ramage for your support with getting papers for me via T-Rex.
Thank you to everyone. We are ALL making a difference and an impact.
Thank you Ms. Satterla for constantly checking and asking, "Are you okay and did you eat?" Thanks for the laughs too!
Mrs. Oden for creating a small group space in the Computer lab! Thank you for doing this for us to help us serve students in all areas!
Mr. Anderson - thank you for always being so positive!
Thank you to Mrs. Zamora, Mr. Colon and Mr. Thomas for spending time creating the format and finding the songs for the NEU Rally.
Click here to submit your Shout Out.
HAPPY DECEMBER BIRTHDAYS!
Starla Longo December 4th
Emily Satterla December 15th
Polly Speer December 15th
Amanda Jurca December 22nd
Vicki Butler December 31st
Sandra Hernandez December 31st