Central Catholic - Find Your Path
Class of 2022 - College, Life & Career - September 17, 2021
UPCOMING EVENTS FOR SENIORS & FAMILIES
Virtual Paying for College Nights - There will be a "Paying for College" presentation as well as the opportunity for participants to privately ask questions. Financial Aid Administrators will answer questions live during the presentation and families will be able to ask questions anonymously.
COLLEGE VISITS FOR CENTRAL CATHOLIC SENIORS AND JUNIORS
- Log into Naviance Student to view college visits with dates and times in the "What's New" section.
- Register for visits in Naviance Student.
- Pick up a College Visit Pass and have it signed by the teacher for the class period that coincides with the visit at least one day in advance.
COLLEGE APPLICATION TYPES
Coalition Application - Approximately 150 colleges use it but a number of them also accept the Common Application as well. University of Washington only accepts the Coalition app.
Statewide Application Systems - Some states offer one application allowing students to apply to multiple institutions within the state. Here are a few examples:
- University of California System
- The California State University System
- Texas public 2- and 4-year institutions plus some private colleges
REQUESTING RECOMMENDATIONS & TRANSCRIPTS
Do any of the colleges on my list require recommendations?
Most private colleges and a few public universities will require at least one recommendation either from your counselor or an academic teacher or both. Some colleges may require 2 teachers but that tends to be the exception. Check your Common Application requirements under the College Information tab. If it isn't a Common App institution, check the individual college's website.
If needed, which teacher should you ask for a recommendation?
Ask a junior year teacher from a core subject - MATH, SCIENCE, ENGLISH, SOCIAL STUDIES, WORLD LANGUAGE. If you plan to apply to a college that admits directly for their nursing or engineering program, consider asking a math or science teacher. If applying for a January or February deadline you could ask a senior year teacher.
When and how should you ask your recommender to write for you?
- Talk to your recommender at least 4 weeks prior to your first deadline. Teachers and counselors are often writing for multiple students, the more time you give them the better.
- Ask in person. We suggest asking "Would you be willing to write me a positive letter of recommendation?" for starters.
What do you do after your recommender agrees to write for you?
First, you will need to complete the Letter of Recommendation Info survey under the "Important To-Do's and Tasks" section in Naviance Student. Then, you will need to submit the Recommendation Request form (also linked in Naviance Student) to finalize the process.
What if I need a counselor recommendation?
Complete the Letter of Recommendation Info survey and we also expect students to provide a resume of activities. There is a Resume tool in Naviance Student or students may email their resume to email@example.com and we'll upload into Naviance for them.
What about transcripts?
Once a Recommendation Request form is submitted for a college, the transcript will be sent to the same college.
If a college does not require any recommendations, students may request a transcript from the "Colleges I'm applying to" section in Naviance Student.