2018-2019 School Year: Volume 1: Week 1 September 2, 2019
Be the Best YOU at Grandview!!!
Welcome back to another amazing school year! Classrooms look amazing! Each classroom has a classroom library with $700 worth of new books for our Grandview Readers. The building is freshly waxed and the outside has been weeded, trees trimmed and vines cut back. Teachers are excited to meet your children!!! The school year is ready to begin.
Each Sunday (or Monday on holiday weekends), you will receive, through email, an electronic newsletter of our Mustang Messenger. Some information will remain all year, while other information will be included as necessary. We love to communicate and celebrate with our families and the community. This is a great way to stay informed. I attach archived newsletters on the Grandview website too.
I look forward to seeing and meeting your children, as well as, all of you parents this school year. I have an open door policy and I believe that through open communication, we will work as a team to create the best school year for your child. Do not hesitate to reach out to me should you have a question, comment, suggestion, or in need of a clarification.
Your Proud Principal,
Mrs. Melissa Carruth, Ed.S
What to say to your Child on the 1st Day of School?
- You're capable of anything you set your mind to.
- You don't have to be the best at everything; you just need to try your best.
- It's about the journey, not just the destination.
- Treat others how you want to be treated.
- Don't let your peers' actions affect how you feel about yourself.
- Every mistake is a lesson.
- I believe in you and I support you.
- Magic happens outside of your comfort zone.
- I'm going to drop you off, then you'll meet your teacher, and have lunch....."
- I can't wait to hear about your day.
- Be yourself.
This school year, we have been busy adding the best teachers to Grandview.
- Fifth grade welcomes Ms. Rebecca Mantei.
- Mrs. Rachel Frost will be the informational technology teacher at both Botsford and Grandview.
- Ms. Kendall Groenewoud is our speech teacher.
Each of these teachers are so excited to be joining the Grandview family and understand that there is something special about this community!
8:30-3:40. 1/2-day ends at 11:30.
School Doors open at 8:20 and the students will report to their grade level location. At 8:25, the first bell rings and the 2nd bell rings at 8:30, when learning begins.
At dismissal, parent walk-up and pick-up will begin to be dismissed at 8:35. The final bell is at 3:40 when all students will dismiss from their afternoon dismissal location.
Your child is marked tardy starting at 8:40. Attendance and tardy was a problem at Grandview. Please do not get into the same routine this year. We need your children in school each and every day!!
Free Breakfast and Lunch
Breakfast and Lunch Menus
Morning Drop Off
- Kindergarten sit at the tables in the lunchroom
- 1st grade line up in the hallway along the wall that has the Blue Ribbon plaque facing the front doors and extending down the hallway
- 2nd grade line up along the wall that has staff family pictures and the entrance to the lounge. They will face the front doors and extend all the way down the hallway
- 3rd grade will be in the specials hallway along the side of the art and music classrooms, starting at the end, facing Mr. Terpack’s room and extending all the way to the music room.
- 4th grade will be in the specials hallway along the side with the FOG closet and the Behavior Support Room starting at the end of the hallway, facing Mr. Terpack’s room and extending all the way to the MakerSpace/Info Tech room.
- 5th grade will congregate in the hallway in front of the media center
A few reminders
In the Back of the school:
- Please form 3 lines to help with the flow of traffic and then alternate 1, 2, and 3.
- Please make sure your child exits your car on the side closest to the building. They should not walk around your car. This is for their safety.
- Also remember, you may not park in the back of the building and walk your children in. If you want to do that, then please go to the front of the school. Let’s all keep our kids safe!
In the Front of the school:
- Do not park in the front loop as our busses need a place to arrive
- Be careful parking on Louise Street. Our buses need to get down the road and if cars are lined on both sides, they cannot get down the road.
- Please park in a parking spot and walk your child in. The parking lot is very busy, we need to keep our students safe.
- If you walk up before 8:20, please form a line until the doors open.
Afternoon Drop Off
Our wonderful staff is working hard to help your children get into their cars safely. Please be patient as we all perfect routines. You can play a part by forming 3 lines in the back and hanging your sign with your children's name on it from last year. If you are new this year or to this process, we will be giving you a new sign the first week of school. Safety always wins!
Parent walk up:
Because safety is first, those using parent walk up will greet their students OUTSIDE the front door. Students will exit the building, out the front doors, with a staff member by grade level and meet you. We will not have parents walk through the building and exit the front door. Our bussers exit the 1st grade door. This is for the safety of all. Please help our fellow Grandview families so that together we can learn this routine. Thank you for your continued support!
Late Drop off and Early Pick Up
Tardy is marked starting at 8:40.
Children will not be allowed an early dismissal from the office after 3:15 pm so we can ensure a calm and safe end to the day for all students. Please plan accordingly.
Emergency Cards and Transportation Forms
On-line Registration for ALL Grandview Students
The enrollment process is now 100% on-line. To process the paperwork, you need to log into your child's parent portal site. The parent portal site can be accessed from the main page of the Clarenceville website by clicking on the blue on-line registration button or you can click the following link https://mistar.oakland.k12.mi.us/clarenceville/parentportal/. You will need your PIN number and password. If you do not know it, please contact the Grandview main office at 248-919-0404. For this process, you will be asked and prompted to go through the annual registration forms and approve the forms for this year, as prompted.
If you are new to Grandview, you need to click on the pre-enrollment button (has a pencil) located on the Clarenceville home page.
If you want to enroll on a phone or tablet.....
We now have a mobile version of Mistar that can be used on phones/tablets. It must be downloaded from the Google Play Store or Itunes. I have attached instructions if you would like to share with your parents. With the app a parent can now complete their re-enrollment forms.
Students can also download their Student Connection through Google Play Store or Itunes.
Parents can now can report absences through the app. To report an absence or complete the re-enrollment packet there is a drop down icon that they need to click, I highlighted it in red and attached a screenshot of what it looks like from their perspective.
Once they click they can choose from the options.
The instructions for the app are included below......
Welcome Back Picnic!!
Tuesday Night Night
Volunteering at School
iChats are also needed to be filled out if you wish to be a WatchDOG dad or chaperone a field trip.
FOG Positions are available
Important Dates and Upcoming Dates
3: First day of school - ½-day
10: FOG Meeting @ 6 pm
12: Board of Education Meeting @ 6:30 pm
17: Constitution Day - Wear red, white and blue
18: Fire Drill @ 10:30 am
19: Curriculum Night (K-5) @ 6 pm -- 2 sessions
24: Community Church Readers start (every Tuesday)
26: Board of Education Meeting @ 6:30 pm
27: Fun Run
30: Mustang Mindset Monday’s Begin