The Ritenour Review
2017 - 2018 Fourth Grade Weekly News
One Week Down!
Hooray! Hooray! We finished our first week of fourth grade! The week was filled with revisiting expectations and procedures from last year and we added a few new items to our list. I thought a lot about having students a year older this year, and this allowed me to make some changes to allow them to have more independence and freedom. As always, with more independence comes more trust!
Last year, we started off the year talking about our different intelligences. This year, we are working on learning about our brain. We have learned some fun facts about the brain in general, the three main parts to the brain and the limitations of the brain. We will be starting this next week talking about neuroplasticity and how this concepts helps us become our best self.
This week, we also set up a lot of our systems that will help us move quickly through our third grade year. Our notebooks are slowly being pieced together and we had a fun day on Friday putting our special pictures and stickers on our Writer's Notebook. If your child forgot to bring pictures, no worries. They can add anything to the notebook throughout the year.
Next week, we will begin to dive into our curriculum for math, reading and language arts.
- Math: We will review concepts taught last year and review the routines needed daily for our math supplies and rotations.
- Grammar: Nouns!
- Reading: We will work on building stamina for independent reading, picking "Just Right" books for ourselves, and talking about the importance of being a lifelong reader.
- Writing: We will build ideas for writing pieces in the year and we will establish policies for our writer's workshop block in the day.
Ga-Ga Pit on Recess
First Grade Buddies!
- Monday, August 15th: NWEA
- Tuesday, August 16th: NWEA
- Thursday, August 18th: NWEA
- Thursday, August 25th: Curriculum Night at 7:00pm