Chinook News for 5/22-5/23
Your every Sunday oh-FISH-al school newsletter!
This Week: 5/22-23
- 5/22-23- This is an ART Week (FYI: Art/Health is on a rotating schedule)
- 5/22-23 - GYM Schedule / Mr. Hall OUTSIDE gym & Ms. Straubinger INSIDE gym
- 5/22-23 - Registration for next school year is OPEN (more info below)
- MON, 5/22 - Field Day (more info below)
- TUE, 5/23 - LAST STUDENT DAY OF SCHOOL / No Backpacks
- WED, 5/24 - NO STUDENTS / Staff Work Day
School Attendance: Our goal is 90%
Let's be prepared...
CONGRATS TO OUR 3rd PARENT WINNER, T.S.! We sent you an email regarding your $25 Gift Card!! (Crumble Cookie, Kaladi's, or Marble Slab)
WIN a gift card - Registration for the 23/24 school year is OPEN
Great job, Chinook...we doubled our number of registration and are now up to 93!! Let's double it again and aim for a total of 186!!
Mark it off your TO DO list....register NOW!!
We will pull ONE more registration report on Tuesday (last day of school) and randomly draw a winner for a variety of gift cards. Completing registration enters you to win!!
Directions to complete registration:
- Log into Parent Connect
- Click on your student
- ASD Quick Links- Online Registration 23-24 School Year
- Complete for each student that is attending.
If you need your PIN or help with resetting your password, please call the front office at
Yearbooks have arrived
Please reach out to your teacher if you have questions.
Field Day Info
- AM Field Day - 9:30-10:50 / K-3rd Grade (minus Joey and Alix)
- Recess/Lunch as Scheduled
- PM Field Day - 1:50-3:15 / 3-6 (including Joey and Alix)
- 16 stations
- Food stations: Watermelon and Otter Pops
Volunteers are Welcome: - Any approved ASD volunteers are welcome to come and help assist Field Day. Please check in at the front office.
Your student(s) will get a sticker chart (photo below) to track which field day stations they go to...
ASD Summer Food Program
15% off coupon code CHINOOKFAM when booking. It is our very own Kate Straubinger's (PE Teacher) family business. Experience Alaska’s beauty and wildlife while sailing! Offering daily or multi-day captained and bareboat charter.
* Repeat * Summer Learning Opportunities with ASD
LINK HERE for info regarding summer options for various programs:
- Elementary K-3 / teachers have been reaching out to families who qualify.
- Grade 6-8 In-Person Math and Reading Support Program
- Extended School Year for student with qualifying IEP's
- 21st Century CLC Summer Enrichment Program
* Repeat * Come work with us!
- Do you want to join our Chinook team?
- Do you know of a strong educator that would be great on our Chinook team?
To best educate your students, our goal is to have ALL positions filled with high quality staff. Help us do that by getting the word out...
We are hiring for next year (23/24):
- Teacher Substitute (ongoing recruitment)
- Student Support Specialist Indigenous Education
- Special Education Teacher (1 position)
- Front office Secretary
- Special Education Paraprofessional
We are working hard to fill all of our positions for next year. LINK here to see some of our new hires that will be joining our Chinook community for the 23/24 school year!
* Repeat * Lottery Dates
Fall Lottery Dates for 2023-2024 School Year
Below are important dates for the fall 2023 lottery:
- April 14 – Parent notifications released April 14 at 5:00 p.m.
- April 14 – The lottery system will begin accepting applications for the fall 2023-2024 lottery.
- July 21 – Lottery closes for applications at 5:00 pm.
- July 25 – Lottery runs.
- July 28 – Parent notifications of lottery results go out at 5:00 pm.
- July 28 – Lottery closes to applications until February 2024.
*REPEAT* THINKING ABOUT SUMMER?
Some of the larger summer programs are already opening registration.
- Campfire - 3 different programs offered scholarships available and daycare assistance accepted based on program Enrollment open
- Trailside - scholarships available Enrollment open
- Dome - Scholarships available Enrollment open
- Alaska club - day care assistance accepted at some sites enrollment open
- Ymca - day care assistance accepted enrollment opens 3/1
- UAA Summer Engineering Academies - Enrollment open
- UAA College of Arts and Science Summer Camps
Chinook Vision Statement
We, the staff and students at Chinook Elementary, commit ourselves to working together to provide a positive and safe school environment that strives to meet the needs of our diverse community of learners.