Right to Die
The Pros, Cons, and facts
Should a patcient have the right to choose when and if they end their own life?
Pros of "Right to Die"
- Suffering of the paicents and their loved ones will end in peace.
- Death won't be a surprise, it can be planned and patients can arrange final goodbyes.
- The overall healthcare burden on the family is reduced.
- If the death is planned in advance organs can be harvested and donated.
- There will be more room in hospice and hospitals for those who do not yet wish to die.
Cons of "Right to Die"
- If this law is lifted what does that say for the other laws?
- Doctors may lose respect for intencially ending paicents lives.
- Life is a sacred gift from God
- The chance or possiblity for finding cures to these terminal diseases will lower.
- This law makes suicide seem ok.
1. an adult (age 18 or older),
2. an Oregon resident,
3. capable (able to make and communicate health care decisions)
4. diagnosed with a terminal illness (a medically confirmed incurable and irreversible condition that, within reasonable medical judgment, will lead to death within six months).
Brittany Maynard was terminally ill with brain cancer and she chose to end her life before the treatments caused more pain then it was worth.
Tony Nicklinson is a great example of how horrible it is to be forced to live a life not worth living. Tony was said be a very adventorous person and now with locked in syndrome he is painfully awaiting death.
Terri expirenced horrible brain damage after an incident that left her unable to breath for several minutes.
The Cold Hard Truth
- Termially ill
- You can speak your opinion
Though there are many others those are the two main regulations.
Everyone has an opinion, now here is mine
Want More Information, here are my citations
Caty Weaver. "Should You Have the Right to Die?" VOA. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
Diana Lynne. "The Whole Terri Schiavo Story." WND. World Net Daily, 24 Mar. 2005. Web. 11 Dec. 2014.
Jackowski, Rosemarie. "Patients Who Lack Hope Need Advocates, Not Suicide Help."The Right to Die. Ed. Tamara Thompson. Farmington Hills, MI: Greenhaven Press, 2014. At Issue. Rpt. from "Assisted Suicide Is Not the Answer." VTDigger.org. 2013. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 4 Dec. 2014.
James Orlando. "RIGHT TO DIE LAWS." RIGHT TO DIE LAWS. Chris Reinhart, 8 Nov. 2012. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). "The Burning Issue: Right to Die." YouTube. YouTube, 16 Feb. 2012. Web. 04 Dec. 2014.
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). "Gearty Grilling: Emily Jackson on The Right to Die." YouTube. YouTube, 20 Nov. 2014. Web. 05 Dec. 2014.
Maynard, Brittany. "My Right to Death with Dignity at 29." CNN. Cable News Network, 02 Nov. 2014. Web. 02 Dec. 2014.
Peg Sandeen. "Death with Dignity Act Number of Prescriptions and Deaths - Google Search." Death with Dignity Act Number of Prescriptions and Deaths - Google Search. Oregon Department of Health, 7 Mar. 2012. Web. 11 Dec. 2014.
Torrey, Trisha. "Cons - Arguments Against Death with Dignity and the Right to Die." About. About Health, 7 Mar. 2014. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.