Talley Street Update
February 10, 2022
From the CSD Special Education Department
Special Education Parent Survey
The Special Education Parent Survey is a survey that helps the state to determine parents’ perception of the success of parent engagement relating to 10 specific areas of special education and the IEP process and is used as a means of improving services and results for children with disabilities. Georgia’s parent survey is available to all families of students with IEPs.
* Families that have more than one student with an IEP, please complete an individual survey for each student.
For more information about the survey click here!
Thank you in advance for your participation!
Criminal Justice: How it Impacts Students with Disabilities
Chief Judge Pamela D. South will give an overall review of whats happens in the court system when a youth is arrested or detained by law enforcement: Court Appearances, Appointed or Retained Counsel, Delinquency Petition or Criminal Accusation, Sentencing Guidelines.
What is the impact on your child?
What is your role as a parent?
What can you do?
How do we limit the impact of convictions?
Target Audience: Parents of students with disabilities ages 12-22
Date: February 24, 2022
Location: Virtual Register Here
*Please Note: The information shared in this session is unrelated to school services through the IEP. Judge South will share information about how to support children when they are in their communities.
Title I Parent Workshop
Please join us for our upcoming Title I Parent Workshop!
Title I Presents:
Reading Tips and Parent Resources
Tuesday, February 22, 2022
10:00 a.m. & 5:00 p.m.
Virtual Zoom Meeting Link: https://csdecatur.zoom.us/j/95140384536?pwd=NzZrSnlLYy82bk9tMmJOaDkzclA3QT09
Young Georgia Authors Contest 2021-2022
We had so many amazing entries to the Young Georgia Authors Writing Competition!
Talley's winning pieces from each grade level are:
3rd - Claire Camp "Daydreams"
4th - Gus Thompson "Haiku"
5th - Reny Stephenson "Flowers Rid the Pain"
These entries will go on to compete in the City Schools of Decatur competition and possibly to the state competition. Fingers crossed for our Talley Tiger participants! The following authors submitted awesome writing pieces:
Amara McConnell, Feride Akce, Kathryn D’Avis, Helen Robinson, Lana Coggin, Edward Li, Norah Heaton, Skylarr Heywood, Suri Thomas, Quinn Martinson, Aarav Griffin
Ben Murdoch, Camden King, Carolyn Terry, Divya Trotti, Caroline Pope, Elizabeth “Grace” Lanier, Pedro Cerqueira Cavichiolli, Geraldine Mansfield, Eva Terry, Wally Hare, Olivia Wilke
Katelyn Frank, Cece Husserl, Bella Zhang, Maia Rasnik-Stryker, Bella Sherman, Gia Saindane, Abby Behnke, Julia Sollie, Meera Shelton, Ella Ross, Charlie Berger, Mathilda LaFond, Lily Brown, Lile Rogava, Margaret Robinson, Samantha Edney, Asha Bhargrave, Parker Mayo, Eva Liatis, Aaron Pinkleton, Maya Lucas, Lila McDougall, Violet Karakos, Sian Kim, Zoe Heimbuch
The Media Center will be printing a book of all the entries for students to enjoy.
Keep writing, Talley Tigers!
Wellness is an active process of making choices that lead to a healthy and fulfilling life. Every day, people make choices about how they spend their time, what they eat, and who they spend time with. These decisions create a healthy lifestyle.
This week as a family, walk and talk, or have a conversation at dinner about SOCIAL WELLNESS. Social wellness refers to interacting with and getting along with others in a variety of settings. What social wellness habits does your family already have? Name a social wellness habit your family would like to start or continue doing (examples: set up a family game night, join sports team, plan a playdate).
Join the Decatur community on March 12th at the Decatur Education Foundation Tour Decatur fun run. (www.tourdecatur.com) Feel free to contact Coach Nichols and Coach Johns with questions regarding iRUN or Tour Decatur scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com.
There are so many ways to get involved in TigerFest!
Would you like to be a business sponsor?
Are you an artist interested in selling your creations?
Do you sing or play music in a band?
Are you a vendor wanting to sell your food on site?
Are you able to volunteer some time?
Would you or someone you know like to donate a good/service/ticket/rental to our silent auction?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, please check out the PTO website at https://talleypto.org/tigerfest/ and sign up today!
Please help us show appreciation to Talley’s wonderful and hard working staff! Our 5th Grade families are kindly asked to sponsor the Snack Cart for the month of February. The Snack Cart will roll twice this month on the 11th and 25th of February. (*Please, drop off all Snack Cart items, labeled and at school no later than February 10th.*)
**Everything must be INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED and **NUT FREE**.
To sign up please visit our website at: www.TalleyPTO.org. Thank you very much for your support!
Questions? Please reach out to Tiffani Edney the PTO 5th Grade Member at Large (AtLarge5th@talleypto.org)
The 6 Myths: Ways White Folks Avoid Race
Come join us for a reflective journey for parents and faculty to discover the impact of race and racism in our lives. The series will continue on Tuesday, February 22.
Please sign up HERE! (Use your Infinite Campus email address. ALL participants will be verified.)
Charlie Copp, MS
Elliott Robinson, JD, MDiv
*Sponsored by Talley’s PTO Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
Talley's Staff Lounge Amazon Wishlist
Teacher Appreciation Week is right around the corner (details coming up soon!). If you are looking for ways to show Talley Teachers and Staff appreciation for all their hard work, please consider this Amazon Wish List. Thank you for all your support!
Save the date!
- Spirit Night: NaanStop February 24th (More details coming up soon!)
Decatur Education Foundation
Save the Dates - There are two great family-friendly events coming soon that both benefit DEF
- Mead Road Mardi Gras Parade on Saturday, February 26th. Is YOUR school marching? Join them! To register a community Krewe for the parade, please visit www.meadrdmardigras.org.
- The 20th Tour deCatur 5K on Saturday March 12th and registration is NOW OPEN at www.tourdecatur.com. To celebrate our 20th year and our 20th Tour deCatur, we want to honor the teachers and staff of City Schools of Decatur by offering FREE Tour deCatur registration to all CSD employees to thank them for all they have done and continue to do! We are encouraging ALL CSD staff to come out wearing their school colors with pride! We love a friendly competition and wonder...who will have the highest turnout? You can join us in honoring our educators with an extra gift when you sign up for the Tour or through a donation at decatureducationfoundation.org/donate! Join us on March 12th for the best Tour deCatur yet!
DEF is teaming up with the counselors at Talley Street and Renfroe Middle School to keep the snacks stocked. We are also accepting donations to our weekend backpack program which provides supplemental food for students who need it. If you’d like to help with a donation, click HERE for links to each school’s Amazon Wish List. Your orders will go straight to the schools.
DEF has several ways in which you can donate your time:
- As a Virtual Pals tutor -- we need tutors to be paired with a 2nd- 8th grade Decatur student for a one-hour weekly session. Click here to apply: https://forms.gle/LoiZxoi6WvSe6WEr6
- As a Virtual Pals Coordinator -- we need one person who checks in with the tutor pairs on a weekly basis. Time commitment is 1 hour per week. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply
- As an AIM Mentor -- we need adult male and female mentors to be paired with a third grader to have new experiences and find their passions. The time commitment is just 2-4 hours per month.
- As a REACH Mentor – we need just one more adult male to mentor an 8th grade student who has been nominated by his teachers for the REACH GA program. REACH mentors help their mentees through the rigors of high school and college applications. Time commitment is just 2-4 hours per month.
If you've got a little extra time to share your life wisdom with a Decatur student, we've got opportunities! Please visit www.decatureducationfoundation.org/mentoring to learn more and apply.
Social Media and Contact Information
Social Media and Contact Information
You can find more information on the following Facebook pages:
Follow the media center on Twitter:
For news from our counselors, check out their website:
For more about the Talley Street PTO, visit their website here: https://talleypto.org/