Gifted and Talented
Information Meeting September 9th, 2019
Students in kindergarten through 12th grade are eligible to be screened for Gifted and Talented (GT) and Talent Explore (TE) in Austin ISD through a nomination and screening process. The GATE Assessment Calendar indicates when different grade levels can be nominated and screened for GATE services.
All campuses in Austin ISD provide screening, identification, and services for GT students. Additionally, students screened for GT who are not identified for GT services are automatically considered for Talent Explore.
Talent Explore identification is for high ability students who do not qualify for GT but demonstrate potential to perform at high levels when grouped with Gifted and Talented students.
Students may be identified through the screening process in one or more of the following areas: GT STEM (science and mathematics), GT Humanities (language arts and social studies), Talent Explore STEM (science and mathematics), or Talent Explore Humanities (language arts and social studies).
If an AISD GT or Talent Explore student transfers from one campus to another, the student’s services will transfer automatically in the TEAMS system once they are enrolled at the new school.
Placement in the AISD GT program is not automatic for students identified as GT outside of our district. The campus registrar and campus GT Advocate will contact Advanced Academics for assistance with the Out-of-District GT Transfer Review process.
- Grades 3-5 opens on Monday, Sept. 9th and closes on Friday, Sept. 20th.
- Grades K-2 opens on Monday, Nov. 4th and closes on Friday, Nov. 15.
- Parent permission is required for testing. By completing the Parent Survey and signing the bottom, you give permission to test your child. We cannot test without this paperwork.
What does our GT Program look like at Summitt?
There are other after school activities to help challenge your GT and TE students as well:
- Math Pentathalon
- Fabulous Fridays
- Other school events
- Other events in the community
- Nomination Window Opens: September 9th, 2019
- Nomination Window Closes: September 20th, 2019
- Parent Permission Due: September 27th, 2019
- Testing Window: October 14th - November 8th, 2019
- Notification by December 6th, 2019
- Nomination Window Opens: November 4th, 2019
- Nomination Window Closes: November 15th, 2019
- Parent Permission Due: December 13th, 2019
- Testing Window: January 13th - February 14th, 2019
(Students will be tested at various times during this window)
- Notification by March 13, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions
You can access a Frequently Asked Questions resource at the link below: