Arcade Middle School - Week of October 25, 2020
Arcade Looks Forward to Seeing Students in January!
This Week's Distance Learning Tip
Message from your ARCADE PTO
Attention New and Returning Arcade Families...Arcade PTO needs you!!
You can help shape your student's middle school experience by contributing to your Arcade Parent Teacher Organization. PTO supports positive, community-building activities even during this challenging year with things like Spartan of the Month awards and end-of-the-year recognitions. PTO provides teacher support as well with reimbursement for supplies and teacher appreciation events. Together we all help make Arcade the school we want for our children. Please complete this online form to give and to sign up to volunteer today!
Will You Take the Challenge and Win?
Arcade Leadership has a competition for you. This is a fun challenge and we hope that you and your student will accept this opportunity to join the friendly competition. Will you win?
Check out this Flipgrid!
Safety Tips for Halloween Provided by the CDC
Steps to Take when Trick or Treating
Make trick-or-treating safer
- Avoid direct contact with trick-or-treaters.
- Give out treats outdoors, if possible.
- Set up a station with individually bagged treats for kids to take.
- Wash hands before handling treats.
- Wear a mask.
Wear a mask
- Make your cloth mask part of your costume.
- A costume mask is not a substitute for a cloth mask.
- Do NOT wear a costume mask over a cloth mask. It can make breathing more difficult.
- Masks should NOT be worn by children under the age of 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing
Stay at least 6 feet away from others who do not live with you
- Indoors and outdoors, you are more likely to get or spread COVID-19 when you are in close contact with others for a long time.
Wash your hands
- Bring hand sanitizer with you and use it after touching objects or other people.
- Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Parents: supervise young children using hand sanitizer.
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds when you get home and before you eat any treats.
Steps to Take for Other Halloween Activities
Enjoy Halloween activities and take steps to protect yourself from getting or spreading COVID-19.
Remember to always
- Wear a cloth mask
- Indoors and outdoors, stay at least 6 feet away from others who do not live with you
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer frequently
Decorate and carve pumpkins
- Decorate your home for Halloween.
- Carve pumpkins with members of your household or outside with neighbors or friends.
- Walk from house to house, admiring Halloween decorations at a distance.
Visit an orchard, forest, or corn maze. Attend a scavenger hunt.
- Go on an outdoor Halloween-themed scavenger hunt.
- Visit a pumpkin patch or orchard. Remember to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer frequently, especially after touching frequently touched surfaces, pumpkins, or apples.
- Go to a one-way, walk-through haunted forest or corn maze.
- Hide Halloween treats in and around your house. Hold a Halloween treat hunt with household members.
- Hold an outdoor costume parade or contest so everyone can show off their costumes.
- Host an outdoor Halloween movie night with friends or neighbors or an indoor movie night with your household members.
October School Site Council Meeting
The Zoom Link is:
Meeting ID: 816 0673 2059
One tap mobile
+16699009128,,81606732059#,,,,,,0#,,679127# US (San Jose)
+16692192599,,81606732059#,,,,,,0#,,679127# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 669 219 2599 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 816 0673 2059
Find your local number: https://sanjuan.zoom.us/u/kqy8vjeUf
TUTORIALS ARE NOW IN SESSION!
WE HAVE AFTERSCHOOL TUTORIALS DAILY. TUTORING IS A GREAT PLACE TO GET YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED. TEACHERS ARE THERE TO HELP. SMALL GROUPS MEAN LOTS OF INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION.
- Please follow this link to the actual Zoom Tutorial Links.
HAVE YOU FILLED OUT THE MEAL APPLICATION FOR 2020-2021?
3 ways to get to the forms
- Arcade's website at https://www.sanjuan.edu/Arcade
- SJUSD websitehttps://www.sanjuan.edu
- QR Code picture attached
Arcade School Library
Our school library is undergoing a beautification process. However, you can still choose something to read. Contact our librarian firstname.lastname@example.org
She can leave a book in the office for you to pick up. Just because we have to social distance does not mean you can't still get a good book to read.
In Case you Missed Something
California Healthy Youth Act
Each year, in alignment with the California Healthy Youth Act, the San Juan Unified School District provides the opportunity for 7th or 8th grade students to receive instruction on comprehensive sexual health. Our district uses Teen Talk for Middle School as the curriculum for this unit. The instruction includes 12 lessons and will take place April 26 - May 21, 2021.Look for a message from the district with more information about the curriculum, including how to preview the materials and options you have for your child. You can also visit www.sanjuan.edu/csh for more information.
Do You Need To Access the Textbook Online?
Please use the link below to get directions to access textbooks on line.
UPDATE! USDA extends free meals for children 18 and under
USDA has issued updated guidance that meals can be provided at no cost to all children 0-18 years old. Beginning Tuesday, September 8, 2020, one breakfast and one lunch per child, packaged together, will be handed out curbside to all children 0-18 years from 44 school sites. Non-meat options will be available to families upon request.
Days- Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and non-instruction days
Pick Up times: all sites between 7:00 - 8:30am
If you cannot pickup in the morning, the following options will be available:
- Elementary schools: 11:00 am - 12:00 noon
- Middle Schools and Meraki High School: 12:15 – 1:00pm
- Bella Vista, El Camino, Mira Loma, Rio Americano: 12:15 - 1:15pm
- Encina and San Juan: 12:30 - 1:30pm
- Casa Roble: 11:20 am – 12:20 pm
Locations: Visit www.sanjuan.edu for a full list of Elementary and Middle school serving sites.
Beginning September 8, bring your students’ current Validation letter, along with any additional children who will be picking up meals. The NS staff will take the current Validation letter, add any additional children who are present with you, and give you a new green Validation Form with the number of meals allowed in the future. The new Validation form must be shown every time you come to receive meals. Nutrition Services will only provide meals to a pre-validated number of children. If lost or if the number changes, a new Validation form will be required and the children will have to be present.
Meal Applications for 2020-2021
Households with school-aged children enrolled in SJUSD are strongly encouraged to apply for free and reduced-price meals for the 2020/2021 school year. Apply online at https://mealapps.sanjuan.edu or pick up a meal application at one of the school sites that are serving meals curbside. If qualified, additional benefits are available.
Questions? Call San Juan Nutrition Services at 916-971-7026 or email SJUSDNutritionServices@sanjuan.edu.
A Little Helpful Advice Courtesy of Mr. Gallagher
Dear Parents and Guardians,
During these challenging times there is a lot of new information. You might be receiving automated emails about your students grades and assignments. When you get a notification of the assignment it might show up “red”, that is letting you know that the due date has passed. It does not mean though that your student didn’t turn it in. To check that look to the right and check if there's an “X” in the NOT Graded section. If an “X” is there, it means the teacher is not finished grading the assignments and putting it in the grade book. It also means that the assignment is not affecting your student’s grade in any way.
I have attached a picture of what it might look like.
I hope this helps clarify some things and I hope this finds you all well.
Feel free to email me with any questions.
Great Zoom Tip From Mrs. Velasco
Zoom Meeting are Very Important to Attend!
- There is a Live Session with the teacher at the beginning of each class period.
- Students need to log on correctly and use their correct names in order for attendance to be counted as present for that class.
- Students should have their cameras on and be ready to un-mute themselves to answer questions and participate as needed.
- We strongly encourage all students to use the video feature. This allows teachers to get to know the students and support the learning.
- Students will find all assignments in the google classroom
- Links to Zoom meeting are posted in each teacher's google classroom. You will find it on the banner. A link will also be in the Classwork.
- Be sure to answer any questions posted in the google classroom as they count towards participation and completed assignments.
Middle School Bell Schedule for Distance Learning
- Per 1: 9:00 - 10:30
- Per 2: 10:45 - 12:15
- Lunch: 12:15 - 1:15
- Per 3: 1:15 - 2:45
- Per 4: 9:00 - 10:30
- Per 5: 10:45 - 12:15
- Lunch: 12:15 - 1:15
- Per 6: 1:15 - 2:45
- Per 1: 9:00 - 9:15
- Per 2: 9:20 - 9:35
- Per 3: 9:40 - 9:55
- Per 4: 10:00 - 10:15
- Per 5: 10:20 -10:35
- Per 6: 10:40 - 10:55