Alpha Five Tattler
Volume II Edition XI
Quote of the Week!
Word of the Week!
No Shave November Continues!
Song of the Week!
Recipe of the Week!
There are two secrets to achieve truly crispy oven baked wings:
1. Coat in baking powder – yes, you read that right, baking powder! I won’t go into all the technicalities, but in a nutshell, the baking powder draws moisture to the surface of the skin so it can evaporate, thereby making the skin crispier; and
2. Bake for 30 minutes on low to melt the fat before blasting in a very hot oven to crisp up the skin. There’s a lot of scientific explanations around this and I’ll skip it because I’ll bore you! But basically, the wings are first baked on the lowest shelf in the oven at a very low temperature for 30 minutes which causes the fat under the skin to “melt”, then you move the wings up to the top shelf and crank up the heat which crisps up the skin.
When these come out of the oven and you tap the skin with your nail, you can instantly “hear” how crispy the skin is. They even look like they’ve been fried! And in case you are concerned, you don’t taste baking powder at all.
Truly Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings with Honey Garlic Sauce
1 hour 10 mins
1 hour 20 mins
Serves: 6 - 8 as a starter
- 4 lb/ 2 kg chicken wings, cut into wingettes and drumettes (tips discarded)
- 2 tbsp baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA / BI-CARB SODA!!)
- ¾ tsp salt
- Oil spray
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp white vinegar (or sub with any other vinegar except balsamic)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- If you are organized enough, uncover the chicken wings and leave them in the fridge for a few hours to dry out. Otherwise, use a paper towel to pat the wings dry.
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions.
- Preheat oven to 250F/120C.
- Line a baking tray with foil, then place a rack (like a cooling rack) on the foil. Spray the rack with oil spray.
- Place wings in a large bowl or in a ziplock bag. Add the baking powder and salt, then toss to coat evenly.
- Place the wings on the baking tray in a single layer with the skin side up. They should just fit snugly. They will shrink when they cook because the fat renders out so don't worry if they look too snug.
- Place wings on the lower middle oven rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- Move wings up to the upper middle rack and increase the oven temperature to 425F/220C. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through.
- Remove baking tray from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Toss wings in sauce of choice (or serve it on the side to dip / drizzle on the wings), then serve.
Honey Garlic Sauce
- Place ingredients in a bowl large enough to toss the wings in. Mix until combined.