Our Town Happenings Week #9
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of October 19 - 23, 2015
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- continue personal narrative
- Grammar: adverbs / prepositions
- continue prehistoric Indians (Caddo, Karankawa, Jumano, etc) - begin tribes research
- equivalent fractions
- composing / decomposing fractions
- dictionary skills
- theme of a text - what's the big idea?
- Sitton Spelling Unit 8 Core Words: state, list, hundred, stood, go(es)
- For extended word list, see link below
- begin Making Connections Unit
- begin Making Connections Vocab, List #1 - to be tested on Wednesday 11/4
OUR CURRENT WEEK
NATIONAL SCHOOL BUS SAFETY WEEK
- Orange Specials Day (Beasley/Visual Art, LaCombe/PE)
- Vista Ridge Homecoming Parade - begins at 6:00, travels from VR down Park Street to Gupton Stadium, community pep rally at Gupton immediately following the parade
- Yellow Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Visual Art)
- Green Specials Day (Beasley/Performing Arts, LaCombe/PE)
- Properties Matter Vocab #2 redo for students who need to retake quiz
- Blue Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Library )
- Purple Specials Day (Beasley/Library, LaCombe/PE)
- spell check over Sitton Unit 8
- skills check (math)
- operations timed test
- Log reading minutes online in Google Classroom (80 min/week recommended)
- Complete homework online in Google Classroom Reading Class (see info below for help logging in at home)
- reading homework due SUNDAY 10/25 at 5:00 pm
- worksheet handed out in class on Tuesday 10/19; due next Monday 10/26 in class
- Xtramath.org- Students need to complete at least 3 lessons online
- Study for Making Connections Vocab Quiz #1 (to be given Wednesday, 11/4)
- SOCKTOBER - donations of clean socks (all sizes/styles) being taken outside the MPR in the mornings & in the 2nd grade neighborhood
- Friday 10/23 - End of 1st 9 weeks
- Week of 10/26 - Red Ribbon Week (see details below)
- Wednesday 10/28 - Early Release day; 1st 9 weeks report cards home
- Coffee with the LISD School Board, Cedar Park Middle School, 8:30 - 10:00
- Sunday 11/1 - Daylight Savings Time - FALL BACK!
- Wednesday 11/4 - Science Vocab Quiz #1 - Making Connections
- Friday 11/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th (Dress-Up) - Decade Day
- Wednesday 11/11 - 4th Grade Veterans Day performances
- Friday 11/13 - Pajama Drive Kick Off - WEAR PJS TO SCHOOL!
- Friday 11/13 - Thursday 12/10 - Pajama Drive
- Week of 11/16 - Generations Texas week
- Week of 11/16 - bookfair in Reagan Library
- Friday 11/20 - Thanksgiving Lunch (4th grade lunch 12:40 - 1:10)
- Week of 11/23 - 11/27 - Thanksgiving Break
- Thursday 12/10 - PJ Drive ends
- 12/21 - 1/1/16 - LISD Winter Break - NO SCHOOL
- Monday 1/4 - School resumes
- Friday 1/8 - Fun First Friday in 4th (Dress-Up) - Crazy Hair Day
- Friday 1/15 - End of 1st Semester
RED RIBBON WEEK, OCTOBER 26 - 30
Raise awareness of the benefits of avoiding dangerous drugs. RESPECT Yourself! Be Drug Free.
- wear your favorite team jersey/shirt
- mismatch your clothes
- wear neon colors
- wear a cap/hat - the crazier, the better
- dress up as your favorite storybook character- must be elementary school appropriate- no scary characters, no masks or props
CALLING ALL SHARPIES!
A MESSAGE FROM MR. BRYMER, PERFORMING ARTS TEACHER
Dear 4th Grade Parents-
I sent home a letter with all 4th grade students over the last week announcing their 4th grade Veterans Day play. All dates, times, dress code, and more, are in that letter. That letter is attached in the event that you did not receive it.
Actors received their scripts earlier this week. If your child is an Actor, please check with them to ensure that they are working to pronounce the words correctly, speak fluidly with an animated voice, and are memorizing the lines. All lines must be memorized by Oct 26th.
I am extending the time that you can send me photos of Veterans (family and friends) to include in the slide show this year. The original cut off was October 9th. I will extend to October 16th. That needs to be a hard deadline.
I would like to Thank the parents of all the Actors, Stage Crew, and Production Managers for the extra effort you are making to ensure they get to rehearsals on Monday afternoons. Attendance is nearly perfect, and Thank You! for picking them up no later than 4:15. I can't tell you how much that helps me to get back to working in my room when they are picked up promptly.
Remaining rehearsals for Actors, Stage Crew, and Production Managers are:
If a student is ill, or misses a rehearsal, please email me to let me know why they missed a critical rehearsal.
The play is Nov 11th. Full details in the attached document.
Also, below are links to 2 of the songs we will perform. The links are free, but they contain only about 1/2 of the song. I am hoping that you will share these links with your child to let them practice at home. You will be amazed at the improvement it makes at their program! Lyrics went home already, but a copy is attached just in case.
We will also perform the Star Spangled Banner and Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American. I am not comfortable sending you a Youtube link for those. You never know what you will get. If you want to let them purchase an itunes version, or go on Youtube that is strictly up to you!
I look forward to seeing you on November 11th!
Thanks to all,
Grateful to be American
Drop Off / Pick Up Times
Your help is needed to keep our students safe during student drop-off and pick-up each day. Please only drop-off and pick-up students on the designated pick up/drop off spots. It is extremely unsafe to drop-off students on the curb, along Park Street.
As a reminder, the VRHS Ag Barn driveway may not be used to pull-in and drop-off students. VRHS students need full access to their driveway at all times, and congestion in that driveway area is a safety hazard for students approaching the crosswalk area. As always, the parking lot at Gupton stadium can be used as an alternative to park your car and take a brief walk to the school.
WRITING STAAR TEST UPDATE
To meet legislative requirements, the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) grades 4 and 7 writing assessments will be redesigned so they can be completed in one four-hour administration. In the current school year, the STAAR grades 4 and 7 writing assessments will be administered on Tuesday, March 29, 2016. Please update your travel and appointment calendars accordingly.
THEME...What's the BIG IDEA?
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.
EMAIL REMIND REMINDERS :)
...if you'd prefer not to receive Remind text notifications, you can have them sent directly to your email inbox! Simply send an email to email@example.com. To unsubscribe, reply with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.