Fanny Herrera 10th
What is Thyroid Cancer
The four kinds of Thyroid Cancer
- Papillary - when a irregular, solid mass comes from Thyroid tissue and may spread to lymph nodes. Papillary is the most common thyroid cancer (75% - 85% of all thyroid cancers) and happens most commonly in women (20 - 55 year olds.) and has an extremely high curing rate.
- Follicular - when people do not get enough iodine in their diet. Follicular is the second most common thyroid cancer (about 15% percent of all thyroid cancers) and happens mostly to women. (40 - 60 year- olds.) Female to males 3:1 and curing rate 95%
- Medullary: comes from parafollicular cells that produce which produce hormone calcitonin which has a weak effect on bone growth. Medullary is the third most common thyroid cancer with 3%.
- Anaplastic: the cause is unknown. Accounts for only 1% of all thyroid cancers. Anaplastc cancer occurs most often in people over 60. Although it is really rare it has a low cure rate even with the best of treatments.
- A lump in your neck that can be felt through the skin
- Voice may change, including hoarseness
- Difficulty Swallowing
- Pain in both neck and throat
- Lymph nodes swollen in the neck
If these signs occur contact your doctor.
- It is possible to inherit thyroid cancer
- when a person has a low iodine
- exposure to radiation (such as power plants and nuclear weapons)
this is done by removing the thyroid and/or lymph nodes
- Thyroid Hormone Therapy
this helps supply the missing hormones but must be taken for the rest of the person's life
- Radioactive Iodine
this is used to destroy healthy thyroid tissue
- External Radiation Therapy
During this treatment a person lies still on the table while the machine revolves around him/her. This occurs for a few minutes, five days a week, for five months.
is a drug treatment that uses chemicals to kill cancer cells.
- Injecting Alcohol
this method helps treat cancer that is not as visible during surgery.
- Drug Therapy
this is mostly used for advanced patients and is used to target the signals that makes cancer cells grow
Frequency in Population:
47,790 were women and 1.060 women died
15,190 were men and 830 men died